Frame

TD5422

I am the Larry that Rob refers to in some of the earlier posts.

We have discussed using electrical conduit and even using copper pipe. We may still try to make some out of these. We just kept looking at the pack frames as they are already very light!

We have always figured that they (LFL) had just bought some cheap backpack frames to use for this. As has been said in other posts we may never know.

If someone makes one out of conduit or PVC post pictures and let us see!

Hey dudes! The wife wanted to hit a couple of yardsales today. She spotted these for me! .50 a piece...whew hoo! Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. Are there any more updates to properly bend the frames prior to me screwing it up? FYI, the boyscout frame (green one) has a folding bottom section and it already has the curve in it. It doesn't appear to require any additional bending. Once I get my main boxes I will be able to tell better. The diameter of the tubing is smaller than the other one (that everyone is hacking up). Has anyone seen this type of frame?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I believe the one you have with the red covers on the tips is also a boy scout frame. It's similar to the way mine looked before I cut and painted it, but mine had the bend and a slightly different crossbar at the bottom. Here's a pic or two:

-Tom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yep, they both have "boyscout" logos on the cloth parts but I wasn't sure if the green one was a frame that anyone tried using for TD. The bottom folds up. Once I get my 6025 boxes and 1536 parts I will be mutilating this baby! Yours looks awesome BTW! Did you add something in the middle of the frame to give the main boxes the popped out look?

After the frame has been hacked and modified, the final result is just superb. Here's some quick shots I took of my second build, in mid construction.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After removing the middle bars, I added some thick plastic strips... heated them up to wrap around the frame, then riveted everything to those. Much more flush and compact then trying to fit everything around the aluminum bars.

Did you add something in the middle of the frame to give the main boxes the popped out look?

Thanks! I didn't add anything to the frame. It has a crossbar at the position where the two boxes meet. However, it doesn't have the lower crossbar like yours. All of the crossbars on mine bent outward, so it was just a question of what to position where. Here's another pic that might make it clearer.

I ended up putting a few small pieces of foam between the boxes to allow them a little flex and to keep them from rubbing against one another. You can't see the foam at all from the front. I just used cable ties to connect everything so I can rearrange them later if I want.

-Tom

Posted Image

Tom - Looks great! Thanks for the underside photo.

Mike - Could you post a pic of your underside as well so we all can see this plastic you added...thanks!

It's the same technique I used on my first, over-sized TE pack.

Once the frame has been modified to the ideal shape and all, I take long pieces of .90 plastic, heat them up so they wrap around the frame and rivet everything together.

Posted Image

Thanks for the info and pic MH!

It's the same technique I used on my first, over-sized TE pack. Once the frame has been modified to the ideal shape and all, I take long pieces of .90 plastic, heat them up so they wrap around the frame and rivet everything together.