trooper1563 has helmet question

trooper1563

hello,

I'm new here and wanting to convert my tk armor to TD. I'm not sure what the armor brand is since I've had it for several years I'm going to assume that its FX. with that said can I have some light shed of way FX armor is so bad now. And why its not except here? thanks Ron tk1563

First off, FX armor (everything but the bucket) can still be used quite well and even accepted for Police Officer Deployment — our "first level" of elite awards given here. The helmet cannot.

The reason FX helmets have been pretty much done away with is simply because there are too many other options available now that are both better in accuracy and affordable.

When the Legion started getting ANY armor was very difficult, let alone getting armor that was accurate at all. FX was a blessing to so many because it was readily available and you didn't have to mortgage your house to buy a set. And I believe it really helped the Legion grow from a few to what we are today. My first set of armor was also FX.

But, like I said, present day is very different. There're just too many other sets available, many for no more or less than what I paid for my first FX set, and all much better quality.

The armor is fine. It's not screen accurate, but it's a good, solid set of armor and looks fantastic if you assemble it well and take the time to put some tender loving care into it.

The bucket is a no-go in almost every regard. You can — as I type this — still get into the Legion with an FX bucket, but I don't think that will last long.

So... besides price and availability why tell so many people that what they have is no longer good enough? Simple reason is uniformity.

We are dressing a group of elite space soldiers and — even more than the "fantasy" of that — we are also representing an enterprise and pop-culture icon; not to mention in an unofficial but very real way Uncle George himself. So, to look our best is paramount. And when we show up to an event with 10 accurate looking helmets and one or two FX buckets (or the other way around) the FX buckets stand out.

You may think/say, "Well, no one notices." We know that's not true... I know it from personal experience for sure. People do notice. They may not know "exactly why," but they know that "these" are better than "those."

Does that help?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will reply, but feel free to please ask questions!

We're here to help!

You might also check out my "Armor 101" link in my signature...

Echo in so many ways Bluey's mentoring in the differences of the buckets.

Posted Image

I myself got into the Legion with an FX bucket, but didn't notice the real difference between one

and another until I requested deployment for the second time.Posted Image

And believe me Ron, there is a REAL difference once I got my B Bucket. Huge bro!Posted Image

To state my case here are the differences of the buckets... And oh yeah common people

sure don't know as many troopin culture as we do, but they still can spot differences for

themselves check it out...

As a case in point

At this years Wondercon in SF my wife (who has seen Star Wars maybe 2 times in her life) asked my why all the FX helmeted troopers had the wrong helmets on. Granted, she has been staring at my AP helmet for awhile now but still...regular folks do notice the FX helmets. FX armor done well wont be noticed except by other troopers.

Totally Dan!

The first time I trooped without an FX helmet an old lady came up to me and a guy wearing an FX and said to me, "Don't you all look good! You look better then him though, why's that?"

I laughed and said, "What do you mean?"

She said, "Well, your face doesn't look as big, and your little mouth thing is smaller and looks better and different." :lol:

hey, wow!! I really never noticed the difference till now But, yeah I really see it. Now I'm bummed!!

that I have to buy another helmet. I think I'm going to stay with my armor..But, which helmets are the best? Help!!

I got my second bucket and a pretty nice one which you see in the comparison pic from Terrell of:

Ata Works ataworks@yahoo.com

You can e mail him and see how it goes. Now if Bluey or other TD brothers come up with

some nice suggestions go ahead and knock some doors to see who serves you better.

Posted Image

hey, wow!! I really never noticed the difference till now But, yeah I really see it. Now I'm bummed!!

that I have to buy another helmet. I think I'm going to stay with my armor..But, which helmets are the best? Help!!

... Now I'm bummed!! that I have to buy another helmet.

I think that's the first time I've heard that on a forum!

Usually we think of reasons to buy more helmets! :D hahaha

which helmets are the best? Help!!

Depends on what you mean.

Did you read this? That's a good start.

Then also read THIS! B)

Then talk about accuracy or lineage... basically do you want it to look screen accurate, or be from a screen used. That will take you down two separate paths.

Certainly the "best" out there — in no particular order — are TE2, AP, TM, ATA, Gino... if you're talking about affordable then you can add in eFX but you'd have to remove Gino, TM and TE2.

My opinion?

ATA is a great bucket for an insane price.

TM is the most accurate thing I've ever set my eyes on.

TE2 makes an amazing bucket for sandtrooper!

eFX is a good, solid, out of the box replica that isn't screen accurate but looks great.

Those are the three I know from experience.

Are we helping? B)

hey,

yes you've all been very helpful some far...thanks :)I guess with all the extra things I have to come up with to get this up and running and converted I didn't think or want to be buying another helmet at this time...thats why the bumming part. But, its cool. I dont want to look out of place at troops.

I guess I'm more worried about being screen accurate. I'll check out the links bluesy thanks. And thanks for the email address sandman.

My pleasure bro, helping you find your dirty path is one of the things we do here,

besides jawa, droids, tusken and rebel hunting! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

hey,

yes you've all been very helpful some far...thanks :)I guess with all the extra things I have to come up with to get this up and running and converted I didn't think or want to be buying another helmet at this time...thats why the bumming part. But, its cool. I dont want to look out of place at troops.

I guess I'm more worried about being screen accurate. I'll check out the links bluesy thanks. And thanks for the email address sandman.

I can personally recommend both the AP and the ATA lids. Personally, i like the AP helmet more (the dome is a bit smaller) but for the price you can absolutely not go wrong with the ABS ATA helmet.

thanks for the input guys. I've got in contact with ATA. Like what I see. but, I'm going to check acouple others. on a down note I got my shine armor out to take the knee plate off(waiting for my sniper plate) and the plastic had cracked on both sides. I riveted on the knee plate I think over time of flexing it must have made the plastic weak from the rivets. I ca'd the cracks and they seem to be holding strong. I'm sanding the areas down and painting them but, should I just replace the shines ?!

thanks for the input guys. I've got in contact with ATA. Like what I see. but, I'm going to check acouple others. on a down note I got my shine armor out to take the knee plate off(waiting for my sniper plate) and the plastic had cracked on both sides. I riveted on the knee plate I think over time of flexing it must have made the plastic weak from the rivets. I ca'd the cracks and they seem to be holding strong. I'm sanding the areas down and painting them but, should I just replace the shines ?!

Pictures would really help for the fix advice!!!

Yeah, pictures would help us ***** you better. But, I am guessing that adding some spare plastic or even some cloth soaked in E6000 will fix the cracking and prevent more.

I would go the plastic patch way, but some fabric could do the trick too.

And... It is always difficult to think you are done buying the last armor/prop/part and then find out there is a newer better version just out. "Man!! I didnt see that coming" I used to think.

Now I just got used to the idea that I will have to replace and upgrade most of my gear sometime. But you could always sell the older less accurate stuff and get the new one. Try eBay. FX helmets wont find much demand here, but, there are lots of ppl looking for any kind of helmet on eBay.

Saludos

thanks For the info guys. And the help I'll try to get some pics post when I can get a camara mines down for the count. I ca's the cracks up and I'm going to probably lay in some plastic strips on the back to renforce the back. I had glued my shoulder straps to the front and back armor so I'm in the process of sanding(grinding them off..lol.

Going to try and get the money together this weekend to order my ATA helmet next week.Got my pauldron had it for a few years. I'm on the way.

The "older" pauldrons are not allowed for SWAT, but they are fine for Police Officer.

Anyway, with the proper mods, an older style pauldron might be up for SWAT requirements. Sir Dave for example has done an awesome job modifying his pauldron. Maybe we can persuade him to share some pictures... ;)

Saludos

If you want a strong killer way of glueing... Try mixing up some super bonder with baking soda.

Posted ImageI must warn you if you do so: Don't get it stick to your skin, it's extremely powerful and use

glasses as the vapors are a killer. Recommend you do some run tests on spare scraps

of plastic.

Posted Image

The CA will probably crack again, as it is too brittle. We recommend using E-6000 silicone adhesive to glue the stuff.

Hiya trooper, I just converted my sparkly white FX tk to a nice and dirty TD as well and am almost finished. I have the MRce helmet but went with a CAP stunt helmet instead. I received it in a trade a few years back and the paint was falling off and it needed a lot of TLC Here is what I did to it:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=8226

You can see my armor build topic here if you want to take a peek and see all the changes I made including pics of the helmet all finished:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=8515

I hope this helps you some :)

If you want a strong killer way of glueing... Try mixing up some super bonder with baking soda.

Posted ImageI must warn you if you do so: Don't get it stick to your skin, it's extremely powerful and use

glasses as the vapors are a killer. Recommend you do some run tests on spare scraps

of plastic.

Posted Image

Wear a respirator if you have one. The baking soda causes some very toxic fumes to be created.