New Backpack sound loop

TD2298

Hey everybody,

I started a new project last night and thought I would share. I started creating a sound loop of radio chatter for my backpack. After scripting it out, I decided that it would pretty much chronicle the entire operation on Tatooine from touchdown, right up to the point where the Mellenium Falcon was attacked as it took off from Mos Eisley. I have acquired all of the sound effects I need and started the recording process. I also thought it also would be cool to have my own TD number in the radio chatter here and there, so I'm working that into the "script" as well. I anticipate that, when finished, it should be between 6 to 10 minutes of radio traffic that can loop on an iPod shuffle and speaker placed within the backpack radio.

Once I get close to finishing, I'll post the file up so you guys can check it out and also use it if you like. Also, due to the way I'm recording this, I'll be able to record personalized versions with your own TD number in the mix. Stay tuned for more updates!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everybody,

I started a new project last night and thought I would share. I started creating a sound loop of radio chatter for my backpack. After scripting it out, I decided that it would pretty much chronicle the entire operation on Tatooine from touchdown, right up to the point where the Mellenium Falcon was attacked as it took off from Mos Eisley. I have acquired all of the sound effects I need and started the recording process. I also thought it also would be cool to have my own TD number in the radio chatter here and there, so I'm working that into the "script" as well. I anticipate that, when finished, it should be between 6 to 10 minutes of radio traffic that can loop on an iPod shuffle and speaker placed within the backpack radio.

Once I get close to finishing, I'll post the file up so you guys can check it out and also use it if you like. Also, due to the way I'm recording this, I'll be able to record personalized versions with your own TD number in the mix. Stay tuned for more updates!

Sounds pretty cool John....def keep us posted

Looking forward to hearing it! :duim:

I will say I like the random, nondescript, aspects of the currently available loop. There are things like "Mos Eisley Cantina," and "Be on the lookout for two droids" that are mentioned, but it keeps me from having to "live" the loop each time it plays through. In fact, if it were up to me it'd be even MORE random chatter than it is. Does that make sense? Just my two bits. :P

Do what you want though! ;)

Looking forward to hearing it! :duim:

I will say I like the random, nondescript, aspects of the currently available loop. There are things like "Mos Eisley Cantina," and "Be on the lookout for two droids" that are mentioned, but it keeps me from having to "live" the loop each time it plays through. In fact, if it were up to me it'd be even MORE random chatter than it is. Does that make sense? Just my two bits. :P

Do what you want though! ;)

I understand what you are saying Nol. It's almost like sitting in the movie theater and having to watch the pre-movie slide show repeat itself over and over again as you sit there in agony, waiting for the movie to start. Hopefully, mine won't be too annoying. Lol. I'm trying to give it a random feel and make it long enough to make it interesting. If anything, it will be an alternative for those that don't mind :)

I understand what you are saying Nol. It's almost like sitting in the movie theater and having to watch the pre-movie slide show repeat itself over and over again as you sit there in agony, waiting for the movie to start. Hopefully, mine won't be too annoying. Lol. If anything, it will be an alternative for those that don't mind :)

Yeah, more than ME getting "annoyed" by the loop I mean that I would feel like I have to 'play along' with the audio as it's going.

Like on the one I currently use there's a part where it keeps calling for a trooper. Every time I'm trooping and that part comes on if I'm talking to someone I say, "Just a second... command, this is TD-8541... I've not heard from them in a while, but last I knew they were in Mos Eisley." In other words I 'integrate' the loop into my trooping. So if it were a story, I'd have to "explain" why I was there while others were landing, and so on. B)

Again, this is just me and my crazy "in character-ness". :P

Yeah, more than ME getting "annoyed" by the loop I mean that I would feel like I have to 'play along' with the audio as it's going.

Like on the one I currently use there's a part where it keeps calling for a trooper. Every time I'm trooping and that part comes on if I'm talking to someone I say, "Just a second... command, this is TD-8541... I've not heard from them in a while, but last I knew they were in Mos Eisley." In other words I 'integrate' the loop into my trooping. So if it were a story, I'd have to "explain" why I was there while others were landing, and so on. B)

Again, this is just me and my crazy "in character-ness". :P

Haha. That's awesome! I love it!

It's funny you mention that, because I plan on putting a pause to allow a reply to the radio call when the transmissions call out my TD number. After this pause, it repies back as if you answered anyway. I'm sure you can come up with something to explain the reason for your current location. Lol.

I wouldn't mind to have the whole scene "narrated" in the loop.

Whenever I use the other loop it just keeps talking about stuff no one really understands or follows. Thats cause being it in English and living inMexico would make no sense for me, my character or the ppl around if I normally spoke Spanish to everyone, but needed to speak English to reply to the radio.

LOL...

Anyway, most ppl in Mexico (specially kids) have seen the movies in Spanish, not so much in English. So for them, it is natural that TDs or any character speak in Spanish.

I just like to have a surround sound for the representation of my character.

Saludos.

Haha. That's awesome! I love it!

It's funny you mention that, because I plan on putting a pause to allow a reply to the radio call when the transmissions call out my TD number. After this pause, it repies back as if you answered anyway. I'm sure you can come up with something to explain the reason for your current location. Lol.

Exactly! Gotta have the pause and reply! :D

I wouldn't mind to have the whole scene "narrated" in the loop.

It would be cool if "you" (the person playing the loop) were a TD who had apparently been on Tatooine a while and they were hearing the chatter about the droids as it was happening from the point of view of a trooper who's "helping" the troopers deployed to look for the droids.

So it could even start with stuff like, "Attention all troopers. We're going to be host to a small detachment from the star destroyer currently in orbit. They're looking for some droids and we're going to give them all the help they need."

*PAUSE HERE* so you could reply, "Command... this is TD-8541, I'm currently at — whatever location you are really at — and so am out of pocket for the time being."

Loop: "Copy that. It shouldn't be a problem. Routine search and destroy. We'll send a transport if you're needed."

:D

It would be cool if "you" (the person playing the loop) were a TD who had apparently been on Tatooine a while and they were hearing the chatter about the droids as it was happening from the point of view of a trooper who's "helping" the troopers deployed to look for the droids.

So it could even start with stuff like, "Attention all troopers. We're going to be host to a small detachment from the star destroyer currently in orbit. They're looking for some droids and we're going to give them all the help they need."

*PAUSE HERE* so you could reply, "Command... this is TD-8541, I'm currently at — whatever location you are really at — and so am out of pocket for the time being."

Loop: "Copy that. It shouldn't be a problem. Routine search and destroy. We'll send a transport if you're needed."

:D

Yep, like getting orders through the radio and then having to do my part of the search wherever I am.

Sounds like fun.

Saludos

Yes, absolutely! It will be really cool to hear everything that went on behind the scenes during this part of the movie. Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Once I get the bulk of it recorded, I'll send it to you guys so you can help with ideas to make it better. That's if you want to of course. :)

of course it would be really cool to have a long loop of background static, tuning in and out wavelengths and non descript radio chatter, just to play as a background noise. when ever people ask, "what is that?"....."its just the radio"

gives people the 'i would love to be involved so i know whats going on, but cant' feeling,,same as watching emergency crews doing their jobs and there vehicles have a constant chatter going on....if that makes sence

For example, out of the entire CE3K i LOVE the ATC radio chatter at the start of the film and the subsequent convos you hear from the pilots

"Attention all troopers. We're going to be host to a small detachment from the star destroyer currently in orbit. They're looking for some droids and we're going to give them all the help they need."

reply, "Command... i'll be in my bunk"

Loop: "..........................................................................Copy that."

:P :P sorry,had to do that :D

Great ideas and efforts

of course it would be really cool to have a long loop of background static, tuning in and out wavelengths and non descript radio chatter, just to play as a background noise. when ever people ask, "what is that?"....."its just the radio"

A year ago I tried a mix of radio static,R2 sounds and 'words',electronic sounds from the movie i can get for filling the gap between chatter on skutch's sound loop,cut it reverse it combine 2 sounds etc..........sounds horrible :P ,but adding the starwarsey feeling for me,if my main laptop is finished fixed i'll try to post it here to show what i meant...............how can i do that btw? :D

A member here offered to host the file on his site(thanks for that man) but i cant send it through email,it said it was an invalid file or something. :glare:

A year ago I tried a mix of radio static,R2 sounds and 'words',electronic sounds from the movie i can get for filling the gap between chatter on skutch's sound loop,cut it reverse it combine 2 sounds etc..........sounds horrible :P ,but adding the starwarsey feeling for me,if my main laptop is finished fixed i'll try to post it here to show what i meant...............how can i do that btw? :D

A member here offered to host the file on his site(thanks for that man) but i cant send it through email,it said it was an invalid file or something. :glare:

You might be able to use a free service called drop box. Just go to dro box.com and set up an account. Then invite the person you are trying to send it to. It's online file sharing.

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but "Rebel Doughboy" on the FISD downloaded the Trooper chatter sound bites from the SW soundboard and made them into MP3's. Might be useful for your loop experiment?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G2H7H51S

Coolness.

I put this on my server now too so you don't have to do the whole "wait to download" business.

Doughboy's TK Soundboard

Thanks for all of the info guys. I just finished my draft of the script for the radio chatter and am starting the recording process. I plan to have the random backpack sounds play in between the chatter to make the pack sound like it's doing something in between transmissions. Should be pretty cool. I'm going to have the track start with the backpack sounds and then kick into the radio traffic at about the 5 minute mark. I figure this would give time from when you place your mp3 player into your pack, get it the pack on, and finally get out trooping. You don't want to have all the good stuff play while you're still in the dressing room. Lol.

I'm going to have the track start with the backpack sounds and then kick into the radio traffic at about the 5 minute mark. I figure this would give time from when you place your mp3 player into your pack, get it the pack on, and finally get out trooping. You don't want to have all the good stuff play while you're still in the dressing room. Lol.

Good thinking! :duim:

hey man if you could could you do a personalized id for me im tk9122 but im am also td9122 soon to be so if you could could you put

TD9122 in the mix lol a few times lol

Sure. You might want to wait until I finish the initial recording. You might not even like it. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...