A few build questions

PatrickW1074

Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding keeping armor together. I have tried snaps (line 24) and they keep popping off. I went to velcro and it works in some places such as the kidney plate and the cod piece. The snaps constantly popped off of the sides so I added velcro. is there a better snap that I could use (female side as male side is already glued on the armor)? Also the butt piece continues to stick out from the kidney plate. I have a three and a half inch belt, but it keeps sliding (velcro)? Lastley, on the back of the thighs, can we trim some off the part that falls directly behind the knee?

I think that is all for now.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

The snaps constantly popped off

This doesn't seem right :confused:

I've always used Prym Non-Sew Sport and Camping Fasteners (15mm) and have never had a problem......the only time I had a pop-off was when the connecting material was far too tight - so it pulled off rather than popped off!

Here's how I strap up a TK....it's a pop-fest!!! Check you have enough slack and that the snappers are good strong ones.

Posted Image

Also, if you are not using elastic but webbing, the snaps won't stay together. You need some material that can move along with your body as you move. Elastic is the way to go.

I only use snaps and elastic and have no problem at all.

Velcro can be used on the back of the belt to keep it in place. But the correct way to do it is with snaps holding it to the ab plate.

On the back of the knees, you can trim off a bit or as much as needed to make it more comfortable. Just be careful not to take so much you won't like the looks of it.

Saludos.

FIrst thanks to all who responded. My snap set up was just like Grantd1's set up and I used elastic with snaps from Hobby Lobby number 24 (15mm) I just don't get it. Getting kind of discouraged.

Thanks again to all

Patrick

Maybe they just aren't seating properly Patrick. I always hammer my males onto my females to make sure they don't pop off. I have to use a screw driver to remove them but once that is done they fit like a glove and don't slip.

Nick

Oddly enough, I did some working with the velcro and things are looking a little better after all. Still having issues with the butt armor sticking out a little. Are the kidney plate and butt armor suppose to be covered by the belt? My belt slides off the the butt armor and rests solely upon the kidney plate. Is there someone out there that may have a remedy? I currently have velcro and elastic holding these parts together. Or, can I leave as is? I hope to have pics up soon.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Oddly enough, I did some working with the velcro and things are looking a little better after all. Still having issues with the butt armor sticking out a little. Are the kidney plate and butt armor suppose to be covered by the belt? My belt slides off the the butt armor and rests solely upon the kidney plate. Is there someone out there that may have a remedy? I currently have velcro and elastic holding these parts together. Or, can I leave as is? I hope to have pics up soon.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Hey Patrick...

The belt should rest only over the kidney plate, not over the butt.

Like this:

post-1761-0-86335500-1333081358_thumb.jp

If your butt sticks out, maybe you need to adjust the crotch strap to make it tighter...

Does that help?

Saludos.

Can I get some advice regarding how some attach their shoulder bells and their chest plate to the suspenders? I have 1-1/2" elastic, 1" nylon, 1" elastic also industrial velcro or snaps (snaps have not worked for me so far, they keep popping off the male part with little pressure. Pics would help.

Thanks in advance

Patrick

I use either 2 snaps in sequence, on stressed areas, or one snap and velcro in sequence.

One thing that will definately help is having the strapping attached to elastic somewhere in between to two pieces. Either all elastic, or strapping and elastic. This would definately give some flexibility, and less popping of the snaps