glueing problems

thrashtrooper

Try fixing them with bleu painters tape first. I love that stuff... And then use the clamps over it.

Also, you might be using too much glue. What brand is it?

Which parts exactly are you working on?

If its the biceps or forearms, maybe the tip of the clamp does not fit on the inside of the part... And that is making them go apart. That happened to me with the bicep once.

So...

Let us know, but blue tape rocks!!!

Saludos

The blue tape works very well. Be sure to glue one piece at a time... for example, glue a shim to one side of your arm armor first, let it set, and then glue to the other side. This will minimize the chance of movement and allow you to secure your clamps better.

Assuming you're using the "butt joint" method for the arms and legs... this is the method that worked for me:

1) Glue the inner shims to one of the pieces and allow to set

2) Glue the other piece to just one side onto the exposed shim, clamp and allow to set

3) Glue the outer butt strip to the same side and allow to set

4) Close the "clam shell", apply the E6000, secure with tape and magnets, and clamp over the tape. Allow to set

5) Glue the remaining outer butt strip.

You can try to combine the steps, but you may have trouble with pieces moving around especially if this is all new to you.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good method.

I normally tape the two pieces together from the inside in the position I want, sometimes have glued an extra strip inside too.

Then, glue the outer strip and fix it with tape.... Use clamps on the ends and LOOOOOOOOTS of tape.

It was worked for me. But I am sure that adding rare earth magnets would make it better!

Saludos.

Well, guys, I use the same method of butting together and using strips. I use magnets, or clamps. The difference is that I use an ABS liquid glue from England. I use a paint brush then touch the seam with the water like glue. The glue wicks in the seam, and welds the plastic together. Making a permanant seam in about 10 min. or less. I usually let cure for about 15 min. while I am working on something else

Thanks for all the advice once a get the inside strip all glue with the e6000 would it be a good idea to use PVC glue on the edges to melt the seams together would that make a stronger weld also if I do that should I use purple primer to clean the plastic like plumbers with there 6 step glueing process

Thanks for all the advice once a get the inside strip all glue with the e6000 would it be a good idea to use PVC glue on the edges to melt the seams together would that make a stronger weld also if I do that should I use purple primer to clean the plastic like plumbers with there 6 step glueing process

Hey Matt. The e6000 is great because if you mess up, you have time to correct your mistakes.

Don't use PVC only glue. You are gluing ABS which is a different type of plastic. It may damage the ABS or heat up too much and cause melting, warping or bubbles in the outside of the armor.

I have built 6 suits and have always used this multi-purpose ABS cement from Home Depot...

Posted Image

You need to sand both surfaces to be cemented and don't apply the glue too thick. Blue painters tape is the way to go to help hold everything together when clamping. Rare Earth magnets are also awesome to hold pieces together that the clamps just won't reach.