HIPS or ABS for Sand Trooper armor?

Matt

New to the board here. I have been talking to the ATA guy via e-mail about getting a set of armor later this year. I am aware of the pros and cons for HIPS and ABS for your Standard Storm Trooper armor. I was wondering if Sand Trooper armor might be easier to make dirty and more realistic looking with HIPS over ABS. Any insights or other reasons why you might choose one over the other? Can you sit down in either set?

thanks much,

Matt

I have both types of ATA armor and a TE HIPS suit, as well. For sharper detail and less hassle (IMO) in weathering I would recommend HIPS.

But, for the rigors of heavy trooping / regular use, I would HIGHLY recommend ABS. More flex and give. HIPS will start to crack after a few outings. (speaking from experience. lol)

If you don't plan to troop too much during the year, HIPS is not bad at all. Great price too.

If you're going to be an all out event trooper, ABS is the way to go. (Maybe an HIPS lid and ABS suit combo?)

Either version is a nice set of armor from ATA

If "ease of weathering" is really top of your concerns, then yes... consider HIPS for that reason. But I believe there are much more relevant issues than that. Weathering is easy enough no matter what armor you have.

The ABS is definetely the way to go. If you have the cod piece separated from the back, it does make it a bit easier to attempt to sit down, but I still wouldn't. The ABS is pretty durable, but too much weight or stress and it will still get damaged.

Being a TK or TD is pretty much a "Stand Up" job.

@ Bluey - I totally agree, Brother! I pointed out the weathering aspect in terms of having a high gloss or dull/ matte look. ABS might have to be be layered a little bit if one chooses not to have any gloss to it, where HIPS you can give it a hint of shine with a clear coat pass or the hairspray trick since it's already dull to begin with. I'm sure we've all seen the glossy, as well as the dull coated TDs, no? Either one looks cool!

ATA's ABS is a nice bright white right out of the box. The HIPS has the option of keeping it the way it is or can be prepped for paint. That's just from what I could gather. Then again, there are almost limitless ways of how a TD wants to have his gear set up appearance-wise (short of S.W.A.T., that is. haha)

And yes, I concur....the sitting option is negated pretty much. :turned::td:

A little late but definitely another vote for ABS if you plan to troop a lot. I have built both HIPS and ABS suits and see the long term. A fellow squad mate has an older ATA in HIPS and it has cracked in several places from heavy usage, just expected if you troop a lot. He is currently building another ATA suit in the ABS now. I think ABS is just as easy to weather.