Blackout screen

CAVALIER

hey guys, what is with this stoopid blackout screen saying "this is what the internet will be like ...etc.. "click to continue?.. are we making a statement, or am i the unlucky victim of useless internet torture?... its absolute &*&^%^& on my mobile, everytime i tap to continue i shortcut somewhere or open something.. HELLP!!!

Yes... it's a statement. We're joining the rest of the world in saying NO to SOPA and PIPA.

You can read more about it here...

http://americancensorship.org/

Even Google is doing something!

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Don't worry... it will go away tomorrow. (unless this bill passes... then the forums may go away!)

Awesome!

It is great to see that we can also stay together and fight for our rights on the real world!

Ill try to stay offline as much as possible today... but my job requires me to be online.

Anyway.

Glad we joined. Hope SOPA and PIPA do not pass.

Saludos.

I removed it from the forums... they are getting so much use that it's bogging down sites with it on here.

HOW NICE, however, that I CAN remove it!!!

The MEPD forums would be blocked almost certainly if this passes!!

For anyone who shares photos of your favorite film/tv characters, animations, avatars, created quotes and images that take a situation out of context for humor... if SOPA / PIPA pass and become law, posting these kinds of images will put you in direct violation of a large amount of sections of the laws. Which will make sites like this as well as the 501st Legion up for deletion, restriction, or other sorts of punishment.

The sad part is someone need only CLAIM you are violating a copyright.

No proof, hearing, meeting or otherwise is required to have the site shut down.

Supreme Court rules public domain isn't permanent, says Congress can re-copyright works

If you've been enjoying the fireworks over PIPA and SOPA these past weeks, get ready for more intellectual property ugliness. The US Supreme Court handed down a decision Wednesday granting Congress the power to restore copyright claims on works that have entered the public domain. The six to two decision (with only the conservative Samuel Alito and liberal Stephen Breyer dissenting) was issued primarily with an eye towards bringing the country in line with an international treaty known as the Berne Convention. The plaintiffs in the case included orchestra conductors, educators, performers and archivists who rely on public domain works such as Fritz Lang's Metropolis and compositions from Igor Stravinsky. Many orchestras, including that of lead plaintiff Lawrence Golan, will now be forced to stop performing works that are a regular part of their repertoire due to licensing fees. Hit up the more coverage link for the complete (PDF) decision.

parislemon • Those who count on quote ‘Hollywood’ for support...

http://parislemon.com/post/16246725828/those-who-count-on-quote-hollywood-for-support

MPAA head (and former U.S. Senator) Chris Dodd speaking to Fox News (as noted by Hillicon Valley).

I mean, he actually said this.

In one soundbite, he’s both threatening any and all U.S. politicians and implying that they’re corruptible. It’s a statement that so egregious, it’s hard to think of anything worse he could have said. Maybe: “if these guys don’t start supporting whatever we say, I’m going to hire some goons to ******* kneecap the bastards”.

But actually, that’s not worse. Because that doesn’t imply the politicians accept bribes (in the form of lobbying money) to support issues.

This is much, much worse than Dodd’s assclownish statement the other day. And it also shows that Dodd really, truly does not understand what’s going on — why people are so upset about these bills and the subsequent reaction to them, as Mike Masnick lays out perfectly.

Amazingly, this discussion is morphing beyond the destruction of the fabric of the Internet and into the underlying notion that our political system is fundamentally corrupt.

The MPAA should fire Chris Dodd immediately. Of course, they won’t — because in a year (when he’ll be far enough removed from his Senate term to officially lobby) he’ll be the best lobbyist ever. At that point, he’ll be able to do it behind the scenes (with people he served alongsides for decades), and not with ****** up statements like this.