First Ever Build...

Nayte

Hey guys I am new here and have recently been working on my first build. I decided to build a sandy because they are my favorite from the movies, plus they are in the MEPD and my profession is a police officer. Here are a few pics, please leave feedback I am trying my best.. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks guys, It is TE2 armor i believe. It is HIPS material, very light. I agree about the handguards, was just kinda doing a fit test before I begin my dirtying process. :thumbsup: But will definitely take your advice. I will add more pics soon. One question though, Im not real happy with how I attached my lenses, any words of wisdom?

Im not real happy with how I attached my lenses, any words of wisdom?

**** the lenses in my bucket were a constant issue. I tried the screen accurate way and the **** lenses wouldnt stop rubbing my against my eye. In the end I put milliput around the eyes and embeded some motherboard standoffs to make some small and removable lenses.

From my build

I decided to redo the inside of my helmet as there isnt a lot of space and to be honest I couldnt see me wearing it for a 4 hour stint. I removed all the padding and lenses and basically went back to the begining. I cut up a set of foam knee protectors to use to pad the inside of the helmet and give it some more space. I filled the eye surrounds with milliput and popped in some motherboard standoffs to hold the lenses. I ground off the outer screw with my dremel leaving this

Posted Image

Next I made a template for the lenses using a piece of toy plastic from one of the many toys I have to buy for my little ones. I transfered the template to a piece of wielders mask and drilled the screw holes

Posted Image

The wielders mask is much darker and stronder than the material that came with my helmet. I edged it off with C channel (So I dont scratch my face again :( ) and screwed it into the helmet

Posted Image

Finally I ran some weather stripping over the srew heads and placed the last piece of padding between the nose bridge. As the helmet is obviously not symetrical it needed padding here to stop irritation to my left eye.

Posted Image

Much more comfortable and conclusive proof that even a melon as big as mine can fit into an ATA helmet :)

Hope that can at least give you some ideas :salute:

I only use black electrician's tape to hold the lighting filter material. Never had a problem. Doesn't look as cool as others I've seen, but it works for me.

Saludos.

I used masking tape and blue painter's tape to hold mine in. I never worried about what the inside looked like.

I also did two layers of the green lens material. It made it darker, but also let a cool green reflection appear when people took my picture with a flash (not AS the Flash).

Here's an example of that reflection...

Posted Image

I like to take my lenses off and clean them especially when they heat up. Fortunately the mini vents installed in my bucket prevent them from fogging up.

This said, I added 3 pressure points with industrial velcro base points: One in the middle and one per each side, left and right. Therefore with little elastic velcro bands it holds up really well and haven't had any problem of lens misplacement whatsoever. Hope this helps as well as other great input advices given by fellow troopers ;)

DSC00234

Thanks for the tips on the lenses although I am sure I will modify them again I am satisfied with them now. Didnt have the materials on hand to do them quite like I want but they will do for now. So today I began the dirtying process, its kinda scary considering how long and hard I tried to make the armor look so good and clean. haha.. Anyhow, here are the pics... Again, please feel free to comment, I definitely need all the advice I can take.. Thanks in advance.

ps. It doesnt look nearly as dusty in these pics as it really is, I will take some more photos in the sunlight to show more detail very soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is starting to look good!

The main idea with weathering is making it look natural and organic. Meaning that you should have uneven patterns that look like if sand was building up in a natural way.

Also, lots of layers will make it look better vs one layer. And you can use one color but make it different shades with a little water (in water based paint).

Finally, I have been advising for some time now to go ANH with one single color and adding a light base layer with that same color to almost every single inch of the armor, and then work slowly with the top layers to give the weathering look. This agains the technique we used to do a couple of years ago which I think now is not accurate.

I can see you already have a good base layer on the chest and other parts, even if it does not shows so good with the flash. Outdoors shots in natural light will help you capture better the weathering to show it to us, if you think you need to. Specially further on in the process.

Looking really good so far bro!

keep us posted!

Saludos

Juan

Done weathering it... I think... The first time I applied my weathering technique I was very displeased but I went back over it again and changed my technique and I like it. I may go back and change things up a bit though. Still waiting on my boots to be made, my blaster to come in, and have to save up for a pack. Here are the photos, please tell me what you think...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just an update with pics.. I was waiting on boots from tkboots.com but have a troop coming up so I bought different boots off ebay, they are good but not exactly what I expected/ They will do until tkboots are completed. Also I want to make my side pouches so I am waiting to save a little cash to buy the leather. I am also waiting on my parts for my pack to come in so I can begin to build it. Anyway, here are a few pics as of today. Once again please feel free to comment, after all thats the only way I can really learn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image