RS Sandtrooper build up.

Rolf

Great!

Hopefully by then I will have my armor ready for SWAT!

We can then patrol the streets of mos eisley... lets just hope there are not many locked doors.

:)

Saludos

Locked doors = Not a problem for a SWAT sandy :laser:

I hope to have it done soon, but at the same time i will not stress working on it.

The main thing is i got it, and will finish it.

We do not have many costume events around here, or social get down any way, so its all good taken its time.

I hope to have it done this summer, and take some mad cool sand grave pics all suit up in it.

Troop on :thumbsup::td:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard that the RS legs are not easy to do!

i had problems with the ears for my helmet and are having to order new ones(i think that was my fault though) :verymad:

I have assembled around.

2 GF suit

2 AP suits

7 TE2 suits

2 Cap west suits

3 TM suits

All of them easy and quick to assemble, and all lines match up good. Like ear caps, strips on bicep, arms, legs, shins etc.

The RS are not as easy, its a real challenge.

It takes way longer, to match up good, and you need to trim a lot off here and there, and knowing what you are doing.

But at the same time, i will say... it all pay off when you are done, then you have the most screen accurate bad boy sandy suit in your hands, a pure beauty.

But he´s not easy, many of the curves are not the same as we known from the TE line age suits, and the body armor parts as well.

So we have to unlearn, what we have learn. Study screen used suits pics as ref etc to match up.

But i will still say the RS are still the best suit buy in the world, only the TM are on top together whit this monster.

New pics up soon... i hope :thumbsup:

thats good to hear coming from you bro,its not just me then?

like i say i think i know where i went wrong and will be able to template off them,i think as you said you have to have plenty of screen grabs! :thumbsup:

Copy that, its not just you bro.

I have assemble some of my body armor parts a few times as well.

Most of the fan made suits, like the TE line age suits and TM. There body armor parts add up perfectly, and click together like a perfect "O" right away.

Whit the RS you need to force some of the parts a bit together.

But again, the RS are the king of all kings if you ask me, it just take way longer to assemble.

Troop on :thumbsup:

No hurry up, bro...take your time ;)

Copy that bro, and thanks :thumbsup:

If i lived where you live, and had a big garrison around me, whit a lot of local social events, i might speed up more.

But here in Denmark we are only a few active members, and one event in coming in 2012 so far.

If i would like to be top accurate, i guess i have to buy a new RS kit.

As ABS body armor again, but whit a HDPE helmet, spray paint the complete suit white, and get some black riding boots as well.

Maybe some day, later down the road.

Hi troop´s, i´m about to add the strapping in my RS Sandtrooper here.

I have done all the cuts, and sewing, and adding hooks, and soon snaps my self.

Its comes as a basic kit from RS, and then make it your self.

I need to make some longer elastics for the back plate, its too close to the middle back plate. I will have them in a week or so.

Mean while i will add the straps i got here, and add snaps etc.

Here you go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New pics up soon :thumbsup:

Thanks bro´s, i will have a little more time the next few weeks.

So i aim for give it a little extra kick to get it done, as i miss trooping, and have a sandy on my full size doll in my living room as well :thumbsup:

Looking great trooper :thumbsup:

Thanks bro.

I would love to have assemble the suit quicker, but i hope to have it done real soon.

I aim for a good progress next week.

New pics up soon :thumbsup:

It's interesting reading about the suit being difficult to build. I see lots of builds where the suit it put together so it all fits together perfectly, with uniform return edges and looking amazing, but, that is just not how the original suits were made. They were rough, really rough, I can't stress that enough. Return edges that look like the we're hacked at with knives and scissors (I don't think the dremell exsisted in 76). The suits were thrown together, all the same size and trimmed out as an when required. The leg cover strips are 20mm, some are 23mm they run out of square so can be 20mm at one end and 23mm at the other (25mm shin backs).

Rolf, I like your comment about unlearning, I think you got it there. Take a step back and just jump in. Start at the front cover strip, the back will be what it will be. The torso really looks after itself, trim with a return edge just big enough to take the bolts (if using them or not). Maybe the worst trim line is the shoulder bell. The original is rough, trimmed with scissors. When we formed them we had no idea where to trim the fresh plastic. So we created templates to trim to, which we mark on every set, as we do with ears internally now to help get a better fit.

If you try and build the suit too perfectly it will be a difficult build, and it will not be the best result. it's a replica of an unperfect suit and that's the point, the details may look rough on thier own, but as a whole it's, we'll perfect.

Rob.

like you said simon thats how there supposed to be!

i must admit though,it did help just having the template drawn on the back of the ears.even though i cut them to what i thought,when i turned them over it showed i was on the right lines,really helpful! :thumbsup:

like you said simon thats how there supposed to be!

i must admit though,it did help just having the template drawn on the back of the ears.even though i cut them to what i thought,when i turned them over it showed i was on the right lines,really helpful! :thumbsup:

Yeah Marcus, they are a great guide, from there you can trim to get the perfect fit for your indinidual build.

It's interesting reading about the suit being difficult to build. I see lots of builds where the suit it put together so it all fits together perfectly, with uniform return edges and looking amazing, but, that is just not how the original suits were made. They were rough, really rough, I can't stress that enough. Return edges that look like the we're hacked at with knives and scissors (I don't think the dremell exsisted in 76). The suits were thrown together, all the same size and trimmed out as an when required. The leg cover strips are 20mm, some are 23mm they run out of square so can be 20mm at one end and 23mm at the other (25mm shin backs).

Rolf, I like your comment about unlearning, I think you got it there. Take a step back and just jump in. Start at the front cover strip, the back will be what it will be. The torso really looks after itself, trim with a return edge just big enough to take the bolts (if using them or not). Maybe the worst trim line is the shoulder bell. The original is rough, trimmed with scissors. When we formed them we had no idea where to trim the fresh plastic. So we created templates to trim to, which we mark on every set, as we do with ears internally now to help get a better fit.

If you try and build the suit too perfectly it will be a difficult build, and it will not be the best result. it's a replica of an unperfect suit and that's the point, the details may look rough on thier own, but as a whole it's, we'll perfect.

Rob.

Copy that.

I was happy for the drawings as well on the ear caps and shoulder bells, they sure helps a lot.

I guess most of us have mostly assembled TE line age suits, and judge from there.

And i hear you also on the i guess i just want this to be as good as i can, as its a childhood dream for me to own this kit from you.

So it hard for me just to bang it quick together, even it might would look more accurate that way.

Maybe if i was a rich dude, and could buy a few of them, i would like to assemble a few ANH quickly/badly.

Please remember as i have post on all my posts, i think the RS kit are the best armor buy choice if someone ask me.

I still think it take a little longer to assemble vs. the fan made kits out there, when people ask me.

But when its done, you have the best and most ANH accurate armor out there for sure.

And if this is a hobby, i see no problem whit taking a little extra time to assemble the best kit ever made out there. To get you self a ANH screen accurate historical Sandtrooper in your life and home.

Please remember my last month have been really stressful, and not much hobby time.

So builds like this are nothing common among RS owners, its just me there have got all most zero free time.

But my next month looks better here, so new pics up soon.

I think this topic has taken way too long vs. my old made topics, and i´m sorry for that, but real life stuff comes first.

I guess this will be my last post in this topic.

I will then make a new topic for the strapping, and then a new topic for the weathering, and then a final topic wearing the suit all suit up out side.

your still not done????? lol.....looking good man :)

Busy as all ways :pinch:

But all most done whit the strapping, snap system and ready to wear it.

My aunt sew me the straps, and i still need to get the last one from her. Hopefully in a week or so.

Then i´m done, and only need to get it dirty.

So soon three new topics coming as, strapping system, weathering, fully suit up pics :thumbsup:

Almost there :)

It sure is, and i´m sorry for the long build. it has just been a stressful period around here.

But things looks better now for some hobby time, so the suit will be done real soon.

I aim to have the last straps ready this week, and be ready to wear it this week as well. Next week the weathering job.

The week after take some full suit up pic in a sand grave, so hopefully all done whit in 3 weeks from now.

Next projects will be my DoopyDoo DLT-19, and then my RS Stormtrooper.

Move a long :thumbsup:

Belief it or not... the suit is done, and ready for weathering now :woot:

I all most can´t belief it my self... Sorry for the long 9 pages here, whit slow progress.

But it have been a mad busy period in my life, whit all most no free time for the hobby.

But things looks better now, and i´m so happy soon to show this beauty RS Sandtrooper in action for some all suit up pics.

My aunt still have 4 of my straps, the ones we first made too short.

I will have them in the start of next week. When i get my hands in them, they will be add to the suit the same day.

And then i can start on the weathering job as well from there.

New pics coming up real soon.

Troop on :thumbsup::td:

GREAT!

Looking forward to what will no doubt be the ultimate TD armor!

Saludos.

Thanks bro :thumbsup:

I have try to do it as good as i can, and study all my RS, and screen used suit ref pics and sites along the way.

The suit have inspire me a lot, and forced me to learn more about these screen used ANH suits.

He´s soon up for pics, hope you will like him :td:

i think the fact youve taken your time with this has made it a special RS sandy build,ive always looked forward to seeing your updates!

youve done rob and simon proud mate and il be using plenty of your thread to help me with mine,cant wait for the next stage!!! :thumbsup: