Scratch building a Sonix Victory 75 Radio

jediyves

After debating wither to purchase the molded radio kit off Trooperbay or to really hunt down the real thing, I have finally decided to build the hardest part of the Sandtrooper pack from Scratch.

For those who live in Vancouver, there's a department store called Daiso in Richmond. Actually I should give credits to Terry Pandatrooper, where he purchased a few lunch boxes in that store for my field pack. Within the plastic kitchenware section, there are contains of every single dimension you can possible think of. The closest thing I could find there were these two First Aid kit boxes:

Posted Image

Oddly enough, when I put the two boxes together, it measures 8.75 X 6.5 X 3.

Posted Image

So here I am, jolted up with 2 cups of coffee and started what could be the most productive week of my geeky life or the most epic failure in the history of my workbench.......

First off, sliced out the lids, trimmed out the hinges.

Posted Image

Aligned everything, clammed the boxes together. Between the boxes, there's a 0.80 mm, so I scored and snapped a piece of styrene, nailed the two boxes together with the sheet of plastic in the middle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Covering up the sides of the radio, I'm running 0.05m styrene sheets on the outside of the box. Sanded all the plastic covers and applied E-6000 glue. Going to keep it clamped over night and I'll see what happens in the morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be continued..........