Shoulder Bell Question

supa troop

Snaps are more secure than velcro and screen accurate too. Just look at some original shoulder bells and you can see the snaps sewn onto the strap that connects to the shoulder strap.

Posted Image

true....snaps were the original way the armor was assembled. I use the industial velcro and after many troops i have not had failure yet....snaps basically popped all the time. I actually got to the point i expected it. If your going for the replication of the original, go snaps....if you want something really troop friendly, try the velcro

Now I do use snaps with no problems.. I use a snap sewn in between the canvas shoulder strap underneath, and then a snap on the shoulder bell. I also have the industrial velcro as well, right above the snap on the bell for just a bit more reinforcement. This is just insurance that the snap doesnt pop loose for some strange reason. I even have the snaps between my bell, and bicep, works great!

I had some issues with the snaps for a while, then while trooper1 and I were brainstorming to correct the issue he thought about adding a little elastic sewn in with the webbing gave it gave a little give and since adding that snaps have help no problems....

Yeah!

Adding elastic and not webbing will help correct most of the problems with Snaps.

At the end, one can choose the accurate way, or just look for what works for you. It depends on what you want. And if you look for function and not looks or replica techniques, there is not wrong if it works for you.

Saludos

I had some issues with the snaps for a while, then while trooper1 and I were brainstorming to correct the issue he thought about adding a little elastic sewn in with the webbing gave it gave a little give and since adding that snaps have help no problems....

The issues were caused by the webbing, not the snaps.

You shouldn't have any webbing on your suit at all. Only use elastic and you will find you can move more freely without any armour failures.

• 4 months later...

The right shoulder is ok as the pauldron will cover it anyway, but on the left side, given that snaps go though the material, isn't the snap visible on the outside of shoulder strap?

No, I think I know what you are asking

Use a small piece of plastic, drill hole, instert snap of one side and glue to under shoulder bell. Hope this is what you are asking.

Then snaps work wonders, and are never seen.

This is what I did...

Glue the elastic that goes from the shoulder bell to the shoulder strap to the bell.

Add a snap on the other end.

Add the other part of the snap to a little elastic square.

Sew that square to the actual shoulder strap.

That is it.

post-1761-0-94491700-1331741989_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-46615700-1331742147_thumb.jp

Not screen accurate, but works very well.

:)

Saludos.