Starting my first ever build.

zed

Well i am now officially starting my build i asked ATA to send me the helmet kit now and the rest once it's ready. I received the helmet 5 days after I ordered it and am now excited/terrified to start the build. I'm pumped but totally nervous about screwing it up. I am curious why it came with 2 sets of ears. I would really welcome any tips or info on building. For example what specific colors are used for painting? What is the best tool to use for trimming?

Thanks for all your help ahead of time. This is awesome!!!!

That's awesome man! Good luck with your build. Must of shipped you two sets incase of error. On painting I just mixed my own colors until I got the desired blend.

Don't worry about messin it up....just take your time and enjoy the ride. Measure twice cut once. Lots of different ways to trim armor. I personally use a pair of heavy trimmers, belt sander, razor knife and a smooth file.

Don't glue until you know it fits!!!! I started using a double sided 3m tape for my assembly.....I know it sounds weird but it's completely heavyweight enough to withstand trooping around and removable once I have the ultimate fit...then I glue.

Anyway....have fun :)

1319088677[/url]' post='113681']

Well i am now officially starting my build i asked ATA to send me the helmet kit now and the rest once it's ready. I received the helmet 5 days after I ordered it and am now excited/terrified to start the build. I'm pumped but totally nervous about screwing it up. I am curious why it came with 2 sets of ears. I would really welcome any tips or info on building. For example what specific colors are used for painting? What is the best tool to use for trimming?

Thanks for all your help ahead of time. This is awesome!!!!

Welcome ZedI know just how you feel I'm just finishing my first build. ATA is a great set of armour.........take your time with it though don't rush anything! For trimming a pair of lexan scissors are invaluable. You can get this from model shops or EBay ( look in the RC Car section ) Thee 2 sets of ears are different one is 4 bump the other is 3. Sandies need the 4 clear bumps. As for the paint I'm not sure where your located but you want to try and get humbrol enamel paints. You need for your helmet:

#5 AD Grey#21 Gloss Black#14 French Blue

For your pack:#47 Sea Blue 50mls (personally I'd buy 2 for good coverage)

Good luck with your build. Worth starting a build thread as then your sandy bro's and sis's can give you pointers as you go.

Sheesh 4 edits no more posting on stupid IPad!

This is a sandtrooper build btw in case that makes a difference in any advice :P

Ok so i marked off all the areas for trimming but i need to wait for hobby lobby to open so i can buy some lexan scissors. I put a bend in the mic tip grates so that they look like they are coming out from the inside. Should the mic tips be painted completely black or should the very tip be left white? Should the interior also be black?

I'm having a hard time finding info on what color paints I should use. I am in the U.S. so I have access to testors paint. Should i be using acrylic?

I do not feel confident i can get the blue stripes right is there someplace I can buy decals?

Thats it for now thank you so much for your help.

Hey bro! How are you doing!

You must be really excited with your first build!

Man, so many great things come with your first armor... and will be coming after wards!!

So, here are some answers to some of your questions:

This is a sandtrooper build btw in case that makes a difference in any advice :P

Man! This makes all the difference!

TDs rock, and are build in a very special different way from TKs...

Ok so i marked off all the areas for trimming but i need to wait for hobby lobby to open so i can buy some lexan scissors. I put a bend in the mic tip grates so that they look like they are coming out from the inside. Should the mic tips be painted completely black or should the very tip be left white? Should the interior also be black?

As with many other TD things, this will depend on the trooper you are trying to mimic, if any at all. So, check this references so you can decide yourself:

post-1761-0-28659000-1319229984_thumb.pn

post-1761-0-19984800-1319229985_thumb.pn

post-1761-0-07943400-1319229986_thumb.pn

post-1761-0-13938100-1319230010_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-41491700-1319230022_thumb.jp

post-1761-0-19041800-1319230030_thumb.jp

I have my trooping bucket's mic tips painted all black with silver weathering and aging, But my replica is balck with white chipping.

I guess most TDs and TKs had black outside end either white inside or white chipping.

I'm having a hard time finding info on what color paints I should use. I am in the U.S. so I have access to testors paint. Should i be using acrylic?

I do not feel confident i can get the blue stripes right is there someplace I can buy decals?

The colors the most of us agree were used during production are humbrol brand enamels. The color codes for TDs are:

Humbrol 21 for black

Humbrol 5 for gray

Humbrol 15 for the blue stripes

Also, you could use Testors 1138 for gray

Testors Sating Black

Have no idea of testors for blue stripes.

And if you feel like not going the hand painted way, check out trooperbay.com where you could find hand painted look decals for TDs and also for the blue stripes... and you can get the paints there. You could also get the masking templates for all helmet details...

Of course, there are many other supplier and makers of decals and paint, but I do feel confident enough to recommend trooperbay.com no problem.

Thats it for now thank you so much for your help.

No worries bro... we are happy to help!

If you need anything else, let us know or feel free to PM me.

Saludos

Juan

1319230533[/url]' post='113990']

.The colors the most of us agree were used during production are humbrol brand enamels. The color codes for TDs are:

Humbrol 21 for black

Humbrol 5 for gray

Humbrol 15 for the blue stripes

Juan

Juan I thought it was #15 Blue was for AB buttons and #14 French Blue for tube stripes?

post-4360-0-80592900-1319268037_thumb.jp

(standing by to run to craft shop...........) Posted Image

Ok after many hours of work and many mistakes I feel like I'm making some progress. There are definitely plenty of mistakes in the build that I hope to hide when weathering LOL. Getting the ears to fit was the toughest part for me. Here are some shots so far. I ordered the stripes from trooperbay so that needs to go on later this week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still need to figure out how to attach the lenses.

because of my huge melon i can only get it on by putting it in sideways then turning. I guess thats unavoidable :P

Do i need to put rubber trim along the bottom of the Helmet or is that just for comfort?

Feel free to let me know what you think but be gentle LOL this is my first build.

Thanks for all the info so far. You guys have been great with info and tips.

Juan I thought it was #15 Blue was for AB buttons and #14 French Blue for tube stripes?

post-4360-0-80592900-1319268037_thumb.jp

(standing by to run to craft shop...........) Posted Image

Yes,

You are right... thats 14... typing mistake.

Didnt even know about the 15 for ab buttons, have not wore them in a loooooooong time... a long time!

;)

Saludos

Progress report, Lid is basically done just waiting on blue stripes to come in. I ordered a doopydoo kit for the blaster i meant to order the full resin kit but mistakenly ordered the pipe kit. Having fun building that now. Unfortunately the kit does not include a scope and they don't have just the scope available. Does anyone have another source for one?