SWAT standards for blasters

Hi all!

Inspired by Terry's awesome T21 build I have started my own blasterproject. When I compare Terry's excellent templates to some slightly more detailed Lewis drawings I got there is quite a lot of interpretation, eyeballing and simplification going on (thank god!) BUT is all this OK for a SWAT blaster aswell or do these have to be totally accurate (good example is Terry's barrel insides compared to the real Lewis) As much as I love building stuff I'd hate to do it twice ;)

Hey Lasse!

How are you doing?

This is a very good question...

ANd here is what I think:

The WHOLE program is actually based on interpretation. What do I mean? It is interpretation of references and how we judge this references are properly replicated on armor, gear and weapons. It is not about making the exact replica with the exact materials... cause, in most cases, we would not be able to do it. I mean, We would need to have real sterling guns or HDPE painted buckets.

So... it is more about trying to understand how the original props were build in '76, and find a proper technique to emulate the final looks with today's resources.

The second thing I would consider is that this program is all about being able to match a single detail with one screen reference... So, maybe the whole Stormtrooper look is one way around the saga, but you find this one dark reference of the TD of your choice where that same detail is different... So, then that detail can be different in your build.

Meaning that, as long as you can prove that what you have done is seen on screen it will be allowed.

Measurements, details, materials and function are to be emulated as much and as close as possible... but when there is no evidence or reference on how things were made, there is a lot of room for common sense and interpretation.

Having said all this... I would answer to your question with this: We (specially me) will try to review your build as close as possible to real screen used props. But there is of course room for error. If you feel like you can do better than we have seen or said in any submission, please say it so... and do it. With each submission this program will become complete and also, will have a higher bar.

My recommendation for all troops aiming for SWAT deployment is try to go all the way. Surpass the previous submission... make it as accurate as possible. And use screen references, and also, use the knowledge about techniques and building processes found on other SWAT submission or forum discussions.

If you can do it better than what has been done! Do it!!

I am sure you will be inspiring other to go further!

Hope it helps.

Saludos.