LA ZOO -- 8/27/2011

SCRIBBLER

Star Wars Day at the Los Angeles Zoo

August 27, 2011, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

The LA Zoo will take you to a galaxy far, far away! Meet you favorite Star

Wars characters and learn about creatures from other galaxies as well as our own.

"The zoo took great care of us for they day, providing soda, water, and gatorade for the morning, and water for the afternoon, plus snacks until they ran out and a huge pizza lunch! We also had a gigantic air conditioned changing room/break space that came in very very handy as they day got hotter. Each participant including wranglers got 4 tickets to come back later.

The zoo is doing a donation to charity in our name. We have asked that they donate the funds to the Esquenazi family if they can--since the zoo is run by the city, they may run into some rules/regs that may not allow them to do that. If its not possible, the money will go to St Judes Children's hospital.

We did learn a lot from this event, and how things went down. Despite a lot of planning including meetings, phone calls, and on-site visits, a few things will be changed for next year. And they DO want us to come back! We're looking at next May instead of August (so it wont be so HOT!). We're going to schedule times in advance for the tented appearances, and also have more of the really popular characters like Vader and R2 so that these characters can have shorter appearance times, and still keep the booths full. If we do an opening march next year, we'll coordinate that a little better! We're also going to shorten the event to 10 am to 3 pm, and spread it over 2 days. We may even do shifts next year, but with shortening the event that may not be needed." -- Lesley Farquhar / TR-3774 (Southern California Garrison XO)

This troop was ROUGH but it was a very fun one! Temps were in the upper 90's-low 100's. (Whew!) I'm glad no one passed out! B)

Over 70 members from the SCG 501st and Rebel Legion came in for support of this event with 3 TDs representing the Sandies!

TD-6985 - Michael Ramirez: "SCRIBBLER" ( MEPD / SCG / Route 66 Patrol ) RT-97C Heavy Blaster

TD-4749 - Robert Longfellow: "RETNUHHA" ( MEPD / SCG / Route 66 Patrol ) DLT-19 Heavy Blaster

TD-4544 - Ed R. Silva : "EDLITMUS" ( MEPD / SCG / Route 66 Patrol ) DLT-19 Heavy Blaster

Here is a video clip:

and

Here are a few pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thx a lot, Philip! Yeah, it was HOT! AAK!

Honestly, we should be used to it right? Patrolling a planet with 2 suns and all. But, maybe Earth's one sun is just too powerful! :D

Well unfortunately, Me and Retnuhha were over by the Elephant exhibit when the Leia pic was taken. :angry:

Hmmm...if we can fall for the ol' blasted Jedi mind trick, I wonder what would have happened if we fell under her spell??? lol

It was definitely a great experience, Rick! (I also had to show off the pack you made for me using RETNUHHA's labels!) Posted Image

But, I'm with our Garrison XO on the decision to have next year's event happen in May rather than in late August! Too HOT! (Whew!)

Despite the Tatooine-ish type heat, hese are they types of events that remind us why we are all doing this in the first place.: For Charity and entertainment by fans for the fans and potential new ones!

Posted Image

I wish I could have posted more pics, but there was way too many. Although RETNUHHA (TD-4749) has some pics in his MEPD post, as well!

If you happen to be in Southern California next year around the time of the next event, we would love to have you (and your family) there!

Posted ImagePosted Image