Sewing Velcro to a stretchy undersuit?

Dirty D

Hey guys, I've got a great undersuit (a thin wetsuit) that looks small but manages to stretch for me to fit into it snuggly. I'm pretty sure that's how these wet suits are supposed to be: But what I would like to do is sew velcro onto the suit to attach my armor pieces to. I'm only worried about whether or not this will actually work since the suit stretches. I'm assuming it will attempt to stretch while putting it on but that the stitching of the sewn on velcro will resist the stretch and rip the suit. If any of you guys our there are the sewing type with any feedback on this idea, please share your knowledge. Thanks!

Alternately, is there a safe way to install button snaps on a stretchy wet suit?

have you thought about just using the traditional strapping method?

I thought about it for sure and I've found some really sweet setups that you guys have all come up with and some good tutorials too: It's just that when I close my eyes to lay down at night, my "thinker" is whirring up full speed trying to discover the method that would require the least amount of effort to suit up in. Not just that either, I think if there's a great way to pull off what I'm thinking of, the armor would seem more like a complete suit that you step in to which I think is probably the way it would really be if Sci-Fi were here and now. Not sure if I'm making much sense but wouldn't it be great if you could just slip into your jump suit and then attach each piece in a matter of moments?

to stop the body stoking from looking weerd you might have to pad out each bit of armor to your body so that on the bits that are seen of the stoking they aren't stretching to the inside of your armor

to stop the body stoking from looking weerd you might have to pad out each bit of armor to your body so that on the bits that are seen of the stoking they aren't stretching to the inside of your armor

Super valid point Grit. Thanks for sharing that bro

Hey guys, I've got a great undersuit (a thin wetsuit) that looks small but manages to stretch for me to fit into it snuggly. I'm pretty sure that's how these wet suits are supposed to be: But what I would like to do is sew velcro onto the suit to attach my armor pieces to. I'm only worried about whether or not this will actually work since the suit stretches. I'm assuming it will attempt to stretch while putting it on but that the stitching of the sewn on velcro will resist the stretch and rip the suit. If any of you guys our there are the sewing type with any feedback on this idea, please share your knowledge. Thanks!

Alternately, is there a safe way to install button snaps on a stretchy wet suit?

Yes you are correct. Spandex, when attaching other stiff items to it can start to tear, depending on how much stretch it has to make against the rigid item. It can be sewed sometimes to something that stretches as well, but not with a regular stitch. If you look at the way the seams are made you can see what I am talking about. They use a reinforced seam.

If you sew to the wetsuit you have to sew with it on yourself or a mannequin. It'll look weird when it's off but when you put it on everything will stretch to the places and sizes it needs to be. That also means hand sewing everything though (or at least starting the stitch by hand and then finishing it on a machine).

A strapping system isn't that much of a pain, once you get used to it I bet it'll go on just as fast as what you want to do with your velcro.

Thank you so much for your input gentlemen. It's much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll end up going with a strapping system since it's becoming clear that the sew on idea I have isn't very practical with the undersuit I have. I think it would be much more feasible when building a different type of costume, like for a bounty hunter that would use a different type of undersuit.

Thanks again!