Trimming

Dewback Jockey

Ok I just got my new TE kit but it needs to be trimmed. This is the first time I have had to trim a kit before. I asked Matt what he thought the best method was and he said xacto knife score and snap. but it seems that the plastic is a bit to thick for this kind of method and I tried a dremel cutting tool but that seemed to be rigorous. Just wondering what method the folks with a little more expertise with this stuff is using.

Thanks

Is it ABS?

Regardless, scoring and snapping (I'd use a box cutter) is a good way to do it for sure.

The best way to get the "bulk" off though is with a pair of curved lexan scissors.

Like these.

Posted Image

Cut with the curve going "outward" and you'll fly through your initial trimming.

Then you can use the Dremel or X-acto, or whatever to do fine tuning.

Is it ABS?

Regardless, scoring and snapping (I'd use a box cutter) is a good way to do it for sure.

The best way to get the "bulk" off though is with a pair of curved lexan scissors.

Like these.

Posted Image

Cut with the curve going "outward" and you'll fly through your initial trimming.

Then you can use the Dremel or X-acto, or whatever to do fine tuning.

Thanks it's the fine tune that needs to be removed - I think the box knife is a better way to go those x-acto's r just so thin and break easy - I will try that and sand with the dremel

Thanks Bluey

PS yes it is abs - I will also get some of them there snippersPosted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using some sharp, sharp scissors but it is leaving some uneven edges and will probably need some sanding. is there any easier way on trimming?

I bought a pair of scissors from Home Depot that are used for cutting vinyl/plastic siding. They cut through HIPS and ABS very easy, straight lines only. I use a small pair of scissors (like the one Bluey posted above) for cutting all the curved parts. Regardless of which tool I use I always follow up with sanding - I found that files work the best for rough edges, especially a curved sided filed which works wonders on curved parts. Then I use sand paper for the finishing to knock the hard edges off. Every time I do that, I put the pieces together and see if they fit nicely - if they don't I mark the areas that need to be removed and then trim that area (cut, filed or sanded). I think it is rather easy.

I use a combination of all techniques, depending on the piece to trim:

-Scissors

-score and snap with a box cutter

-direct cut off with an x-acto knife

-sand with files

-sand with sandpaper

The only thing I dont like except for drilling, is using the dremmel.

But if doesn't matter what tool and technique you end up using, I would always recommend sanding the edge of the piece.

Saludos