My first Test Fit

kirbyharless

Its been a while since I started working on my armor.. Finally I have gottent to the point where I got to do a test fit.... Having some issues getting the butt-plate to sit right it. Im thinking that its coming from the strap that connects the butt-plate to the groin... It was too short the first try and that pulled the top out, then the last one was too long and it let the bottom of it droop...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey man, looking good!!

This is just more proof big guys can look great in armor!

As for the butt-plate, if you connect it to the kidney plate so that it's all but glued to it (i.e., so it "gives" but is really butted up right against the kidney) then the strap underneath won't change it's position when it "pulls" on it.

That make sense?

Hey man, looking good!!

This is just more proof big guys can look great in armor!

As for the butt-plate, if you connect it to the kidney plate so that it's all but glued to it (i.e., so it "gives" but is really butted up right against the kidney) then the strap underneath won't change it's position when it "pulls" on it.

That make sense?

The AM makes it possible.. Not the most accurate, but I like it, and I can still have the correct size cover strips in the front, and not have crazy oversized strips in the back...

Yeah makes perfect sense...sadly thats how I had it the first time around.. I still have those shorter straps.. I go that route again and shorten the strap between the legs just a bit... get this figured out then I can get on to the chest/back... hoping to be bouncing around the dune sea on patrol soon...

I like the AM too!

I'm a pretty hardcore "accurate" guy now myself... but there is something about that idealization that the AM does perfectly! It's a beautiful kit for sure... and well made!!

Okay... I see now what might help... but you'll want to be careful doing this as it will mean cutting your kidney plate.

Cut the top, or bottom, off the kidney plate so that the top of it rests where it currently resets, but the bottom of it will sit flush with the line from your ab plate. Then raise your butt plate accordingly.

Posted Image

If you can, raise the kidney and butt plate so the bottom line is correct before cutting the top to make sure it works.

Then, however, I would say cut the bottom, rather than the top... but it all depends on which return edge seems less noticeable if missing.

Not sure how I missed that post blue.. Thanks for the heads up.. I went back to the shorter strap between the but and kidney, and adjusted the cod/but strap seems to have helped some. Im sure Ill still need to try your idea on top of what I already did.. I am wondering about the chest/back.. Im thinking Im going to have to trim the back up? I cant tell if I am even close on the chest/back...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for all the help trying to keep me in line gang...

Thanks gang,Yep.... At least there is light showing now.. I want to be done, but not at the cost of looking like a set of Rubies armor or be one of those guys that has everything except his boots malfunction 15 minutes after a troop starts because I rushed it.. There will always be something that needs to be upgraded, or tweaked.. Ill be limited the next couple of days as to what I get to work on because of my daughters birthday... My wife has sorta turned the rest of this week into birhdaypalooza.. Lost of house cleaning for the big party saturday, and my wife is more worried about my armor getting destroyed by little ones than I am.. So ill be doing most of my sewing stuff the next day or so... Today is actually her birthday spend the last hour and a half putting a Barbie Dream House together... BUT SHE IS NOW 5 and that means SHE GETS TO START WATCHING STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least ANH anyways......

OK after BirthdayPalooza ended, and some technical difficulties with the sewing machine I got back to work today. Finished my belt for my thighs and thought I would give em a check... I am thinking that I need to trim even more from the over all length????? (just trim the another 1/2" or so from the thigh tops) There was a lot of catching and grabbing between the shins/thighs... and I dont even have the battery pack for the right thigh added yet.. I considered just adjusting the length on the garter, but that would then have the thigh tops hitting the ab/cod... Do you guys agree?

Posted Image

Yeah, don't trim them YET... but I do agree it looks like you may want to.

They certainly should come "up" more. There should be more of a gap where your knees are, in other words.

Yeah bro you have the same build as me "HUSKY"! I have an AM kit too and it will come together to fit you well. As as far as the kidney and butt plate the straps that come with the kit are what I use to hold them together so the have some give and the seam is covered by the belt anyway. I wouldnt cut anything off either piece.

The guys are right....do not trim them yet. You may be better off trimming the shins at the bottom. You won't Lise any detail and it's easier to work with. All will depend in how it fits though. It's going to take some time and you will probably have to adjust even more once you troop. Most if the screen pics I've seen show the thighs around the length you have.

Thanks didnt ever about the shins kept thinking about the tops.. but the ankles...well that would be the easiest way to get some adjusting done.. not much to worry about loosing there, especially since I dont think it will take much to begin with.. Ill hold off on any major chop jobs because im trying to get my schedule worked out and make it to Jay's(trooper1) to help me knock this out. Be better to have some experience on hand and not go doing something Ill regret...

Thanks didnt ever about the shins kept thinking about the tops.. but the ankles...well that would be the easiest way to get some adjusting done.. not much to worry about loosing there, especially since I dont think it will take much to begin with.. Ill hold off on any major chop jobs because im trying to get my schedule worked out and make it to Jay's(trooper1) to help me knock this out. Be better to have some experience on hand and not go doing something Ill regret...

Good idea especially if you have a great builder local to you :)

Yeah Jay is the one that convinced me to go dirty... Im liking the choice I made more and more everyday... Too many cooll extras with the TD.. granted some of 'em have been a pain to get a hold of but, thats half the fun...right :)