Ordered my AM kit, now what do I need?

jokerfish

OK, I ordered my AM kit today, what tools and supplies should I have on hand to get this thing together? I think I need a rivet gun, rivets, stuff like that, but would love to get it all during the week so I can just jump on getting the suit together.

I also bought a new neck seal, ordered boots, picked up nomex flight gloves from the army surplus, bought a canvas belt, got an extra pauldron...what am I missing from completing my suit as far as "needs" for approval? I know I also need a blaster for MEPD approval, but I plan on making my dewback prod this weekend to hold me over :)

I honestly dont know what I need about snaps, strapping, glue, etc. Are these items readily available at local hardware and craft stores?

I would also like to know what I need to start weathering I have watched a few videos, so I know some techniques, but I still dont have a complete supply list

Thanks guys!

glue: E6000

Strapping: elastic and snaps (both can be bought from fabric and craft stores)

Tools: xacto knife(scoring and snapping), would recommend dremel tool, snap pliers, clamps(holding down glued areas), blue painters tape(for test fitting and tapping down cover strips)

for weathering pandatrooper has a great video tutorial, if using his tut paints needed : Acrylic Burnt umber, black, gray.

Thats all I can think of, just add anything I am missing.

E6000 can also be found at Wal-Mart its usually a buck or two cheaper than the hobby stores. I havent seen anyone else add it on here yet for you.. But if you can land some rare-earth magnets they are great for clamping. Especially on the shins and thighs where regular clamps dont quite reach the middle... I know they have helped me a lot as a noob-builder...

This might help...

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials.html

And here's a list (some of this will depend on how accurate you're getting.)

1. Glue (E-6000)

2. Black elastic- 2", 1.5", 1" and 3/4" for holding armor together

3. White elastic 1/4" for shoulder straps

4. 5 packs of Heavy Duty (a.k.a. "camping") Snaps/ 35 Snaps — or 4' pack industrial strength Velcro™ if you're going that route

5. Canvas for belt — unless you're ordering one

6. Clamps (for holding armour together while glue sets)

7. Snap Pliers (not a must, but REALLY nice if you're doing snaps)

8. Box Cutter

9. Straight edge

10. Pliers

11. Scissors

12. Lighter (cauterizes the edges of the elastic and such)

13. Painter's tape

14. 150 & 400 grit Sandpaper

15. Spare plastic

16. 1/8" x 3mm Aluminum Rivets

17. 1 box of paper-fastener brass "brads" from office supply place

That's a pretty good start.

This might help...

http://www.whitearmor.net/home/tutorials.html

And here's a list (some of this will depend on how accurate you're getting.)

1. Glue (E-6000)

2. Black elastic- 2", 1.5", 1" and 3/4" for holding armor together

3. White elastic 1/4" for shoulder straps

4. 5 packs of Heavy Duty (a.k.a. "camping") Snaps/ 35 Snaps — or 4' pack industrial strength Velcro™ if you're going that route

5. Canvas for belt — unless you're ordering one

6. Clamps (for holding armour together while glue sets)

7. Snap Pliers (not a must, but REALLY nice if you're doing snaps)

8. Box Cutter

9. Straight edge

10. Pliers

11. Scissors

12. Lighter (cauterizes the edges of the elastic and such)

13. Painter's tape

14. 150 & 400 grit Sandpaper

15. Spare plastic

16. 1/8" x 3mm Aluminum Rivets

17. 1 box of paper-fastener brass "brads" from office supply place

That's a pretty good start.

I have most of that stuff, so thats good to know! I need to get some clamps, snaps, strapping, glue and a handful of other things, but I should be well on my way!

Thanks guys!

You should wait until you get the kit AM kits come with all the velcro, strapping, elastic and PVC cement you need to put it together. You will be spending alot of money you dont need to. Unless the new AM supplier has changed this.

Yeah the AM comes with all the straps. I didn't use any of them for my TX though. They came with the pile side (the fuzzy side) of the velcro sewn on. That means I would have to put the hook side of the velcro on the armor, which means the hook side would be touching the undersuit. Hook side touching undersuit = fraying. I used that same setup for my TD and I have had zero fraying on that.

You can use the straps though. I did use some of the straps, but I ended up removing the pile side velcro and sewed on the hook side of velcro.

The problem with the provided straps is that your body type might not actually fit the straps and then the armor will not fit (or look) proper. So don't be afraid to cut/trim the straps to make the armor fit you.

I bought the "lite" kit, so I am not sure what all comes with it. I may wait for the straps till this weekend, but I know I need the white canvas for the shoulders so I will grab that today. My buddy who snagged that FX suit from me bought snap pliers and a heat gun, so I dont have to buy those, so thats good.

I already have the ammo pouches, I forgot to list those.

What kind of paint do I need to do the weathering? I know I need paper towels and hairspray. Any more suggestions?

Thanks for that ink to the arnor build. I printed the whole thing out at work last night (53 pages!) and will be using it step by step

For the weathering I would suggest you to use Woodland Scenics pigments. I would use concrete for an undercoat and raw umber for all the dirtying up job.

Also, consider getting and using some working gloves. It is too often that people get hurt with tools while working on armors. So a good pair of gloves will help you a lot.

:D

Saludos.

For the weathering I would suggest you to use Woodland Scenics pigments. I would use concrete for an undercoat and raw umber for all the dirtying up job.

Saludos.

Are the Woodland pigments a liquid paint or a powder like fuller's earth?