my attempt at weather

Peter

I think it looks pretty good Peter. Maybe a bit heavy on the boots compared to the armor. I know some guys like that cause they say your boots should always be the dirtiest part. Compared to my weathering, you seem pretty clean actually, but they say, less is more. It's all personal preference. If you are happy with it, then go with it. Not everyone likes mine, but I do and that's all that matters. ;)

Keep the pics coming. BTW...Pack is starting to take shape. Pics to come shortly.

Personally, I think you can do one quick pass with a burnt umber color. This time, think about where the dirt would "settle". When you rub it off, rub very little off and do it in clumps. Rub some off here, leave some here. It also looks like on the ridges, that you rubbed the dirt off vertically. The dirt flows in very straight lines. I think it can be clumpier.

Right now, it feels very "even" to me. Make it a little mor haphazard and unpredictable. I would take a little bit off the high spots on the boots. The black stands out a bit, but layering on another pass of burnt umber will make it feel organic.

If you like, I can do a mockup for you tomorrow in Photoshop using your photo. Maybe that can be a guide for you to follow?

The dirt in the crevices is great, really really good.

Just need a dark overall filter to blend the white to dark and i think it will be great.

Mix a really thinned umber/dirty brown and pass over everthing in a thin wash, if too weak let it dry and do again- less is more.

Mate, I think you are really on the right track and weathering can be done in so many different ways, NO one thing or method is right.

All it needs is pulling together, many different tones, scuffs etc

Best wishes

Gra

As already stated, I would add some burnt umber to it. It's great where you have the look that sand/dirt has gathered in the crevasses etc but I personally would 'weather' it more.

Isn't it great when you get going!? :D

Smally.

Looking good man....I know weathering can be pretty tricky. A lot of what we do in regards to it doesnt always photograph well(the flash in the camera brightens it too much to see)so its really best to try and get your feedback both here and within your garrison. Take it with a grain of salt though....if you think it looks the part in person, run with it. You can always add more or remove as time goes on.

Looks good so far! Multiple "earthy" colors on multiple layers would be a good effect, and I would leave a lille "haze" on some of the shiny areas. Of course, it comes down to personal preference.

Also- just a side note that I did: add something that stands out and is noticeable to you that nobody else has so you can recognize yourself in pictures. Mine is the weathering pattern on my pauldron.

I think a few more layers with some lighter shades of brown will help sell it...

Also look at some of the original TDs, see how they kinda look like the sand has beaten into the armor in certain spots other than just the crevices.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW, I noticed that you did not have the black elastic strap that holds your shoulder bell at the bottom that wraps around your biceps. You may have just have inadvertently forgotten to do it for the pictures, but it didn't look like from the pix that you had one attached at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image