Help! I Need Trimming Advice...

maj_hassel

I'm trimming the back plate of an ANH (GF-AP-80ABS) kit and am not sure if I have trimmed enough or need to trim more. I can't find any reference pics and am not sure if the edge is supposed to have a contoured edge or a flat edge. I've drawn a cut line but I haven't made the cut yet and am waiting for advice before I continue.

(Please forgive the large pics but I wanted to make sure that you could see what I'm talking about.)

Here is the inside of the piece and the cut line I've drawn in pencil...

Posted Image

...and here's the outside of the piece showing the current countoured edge.

Posted Image

What should I do? Do I trim it or leave it be? Should I trim it so there's a little countour? I can't tell how the originals were cut--unless, of course you look at the Star Wars: A Visual Dictionary which has armor which looks like it was trimmed with a pruning saw.

You can go either way, depends on the fit you want. If you leave the edge then you shoul should leaving it on all the parts. On mine i cut it out on all the parts (except the hand guards) because I needed the room.

Thanks, that's pretty much the answer I was looking for. I might leave a slight curve on the edges, but nothing that would actually curve inward and dig into the bodysuit.

I just wanted to see if I would get any "DON'T TRIM THAT EDGE OR IT WON'T BE CANON!!" responses. Thank you for not providing me with one.

You can go either way, depends on the fit you want. If you leave the edge then you shoul should leaving it on all the parts. On mine i cut it out on all the parts (except the hand guards) because I needed the room.

Thanks, that's pretty much the answer I was looking for. I might leave a slight curve on the edges, but nothing that would actually curve inward and dig into the bodysuit.

I just wanted to see if I would get any "DON'T TRIM THAT EDGE OR IT WON'T BE CANON!!" responses. Thank you for not providing me with one.

hi,i left a edge on my gino armor especially on the bottom,gives it a thick look to the armor.i think real aromor is like that .i definitly would not trim it to the line you marked on the bottom.

Okay, I'll cut it halfway back.

In reality it won't make that much difference since it's going to be covered by a backpack.

I'll try to leave a little but of lip on the main torso pieces (it's too late for the chest) but the shoulder bells had to be trimmed all the way (my shoulders barely fit in them now) and the cod had to be trimmed for obvious comfort reasons.

About what thickness of an edge would you recommend for the hand covers?

I'm apprehensive whether this kit is going to fit at all. No hope until the holiday season is over and I can shed a few pounds. That should be my New Years resolution...to fit into my armor.