what is the backpack accurate frame?

Quebectrooper

vintage alum boyscout pack frames are what was used in the movie as far as i know.i will post some pics of miner here soon!

Are you positive about that?

If so, how come the seed trays dont sit right on those frame.

I would love to see reference pictures (screen- captured) to confirm of the frame used.

Thanks

John Mollo was the costume designer on Star Wars, but he may have had a crew working with him to create the packs. He refers to "We took plastic seed boxes", plus it;s unlikely he would have built the packs alone before the shoot in Tunisia.

This is the only info I've ever found on the original creation of the packs from the Making of Star wars book.

"George announced that he was going to take some Stormtroopers on location, and he wanted them in Combat Order. I said “Oh yes George, what’s combat order for Stormtroopers?” and he said “Lots of stuff on the back”.

So I went into this Boy Scout shop in London and bought on of these metal backpack racks; then we took plastic seed boxes, stuck two of those together, and put four of those on the rack.

Then we put a plastic drainpipe on the top, with a laboratory pipe on the side and everything was sprayed black. [laughs] This was the most amazing kind of film!

George asked, “Can we get something that shows their rank?” So we took a motorcycle chest protector and put one of them on their shoulders. George said “That’s great!” We painted one orange and one black and that was it!’ Mollo concludes, happily.”

So here comes the next questions.....

Is the English Boys Scout frame is the same as the one we get here in the States?

The reason I ask is I have the Boy Scout frame and AFAIK my seed trays are scale to size. They just don't fit right. The frame is wider for the seed trays to just sit on top.

Also we all know that not everything was sprayed black and the chest protectors are not painted.

Just curious...............

So here comes the next questions.....

Is the English Boys Scout frame is the same as the one we get here in the States?

The reason I ask is I have the Boy Scout frame and AFAIK my seed trays are scale to size. They just don't fit right. The frame is wider for the seed trays to just sit on top.

Also we all know that not everything was sprayed black and the chest protectors are not painted.

Just curious...............

The Answer is in the John Mollo quote that you have posted my friend and in the 100s of reference pictures available.

If you interpret Mollo's answer he is scoffing at Lucas's request to turn a Stormtrooper into a Field Trooper, and by just cobbling a load of bricabrac to a scout frame and randomly spraying it he created exactly what Lucas wanted with limited time and resources, basically not much effort was taken in choosing the parts used and therefore they would have been fitted to the Scout frame by any means necessary, pictures prove this.

Another thing to note is that as fiming for A New Hope Progressed many thought it to be a pretty crap project they were involved in, a movie that probably would see the light of day, many Ridiculed Lucas's ideas on set and i would assume a lot people on set just didnt care how things looked, i think a "get it built and get it on set" mentality was very much the order of the day.

There is a discussion on another site that i find quite unbelieavable where by, the members are trying to find out the accurate mathod of wearing Trooper armour ie how they fixed all the armour together using velcro and straps........ mind boggling really.

The guys here make in my opinion a pretty cool and accurate Back pack out of Plastic frames made to measure, buy trying to use an Accurate Scout Frame from the same time period your gonna have problems using fittings from a later period.

The Answer is in the John Mollo quote that you have posted my friend and in the 100s of reference pictures available.

If you interpret Mollo's answer he is scoffing at Lucas's request to turn a Stormtrooper into a Field Trooper, and by just cobbling a load of bricabrac to a scout frame and randomly spraying it he created exactly what Lucas wanted with limited time and resources, basically not much effort was taken in choosing the parts used and therefore they would have been fitted to the Scout frame by any means necessary, pictures prove this.

Another thing to note is that as fiming for A New Hope Progressed many thought it to be a pretty crap project they were involved in, a movie that probably would see the light of day, many Ridiculed Lucas's ideas on set and i would assume a lot people on set just didnt care how things looked, i think a "get it built and get it on set" mentality was very much the order of the day.

There is a discussion on another site that i find quite unbelieavable where by, the members are trying to find out the accurate mathod of wearing Trooper armour ie how they fixed all the armour together using velcro and straps........ mind boggling really.

The guys here make in my opinion a pretty cool and accurate Back pack out of Plastic frames made to measure, buy trying to use an Accurate Scout Frame from the same time period your gonna have problems using fittings from a later period.

Very interesting.

Actually yes, I do think since lots of teh crew didn't care much for SW other than to have a job and collect their check, things probably just were done as fast, cheap and easy as they could.

Two more things... about the other forum, we already know how the original armors were put together. Or almost. TM master makes his armors with probably the most accurate strapping system till date. And Im sure it must be at least 95% accurate.

Also, has anyone considered that the frames used in ANH for packs could be kids size?

I was in scouting for 17 years and I know that those kinds of frames come in different sizes for different ages. It seems that everyone available on ebay is for teenagers or adults, therefore a bit too big. But I am 100% that there are kids size frames too. At least they existed back in the 80s when I started as a cub scout.

:)

Saludos.

I used to be a boy scout when i was a kid too, and the packs came in slightly different sizes and configurations. Also, what was available back in the mid 70's isnt the same as today. I know Mike Harrison did a lot of research on the packs and frames back in the day. He would find vintage ones and cut them down to size.

I used to be a boy scout when i was a kid too, and the packs came in slightly different sizes and configurations. Also, what was available back in the mid 70's isnt the same as today. I know Mike Harrison did a lot of research on the packs and frames back in the day. He would find vintage ones and cut them down to size.

This is what I'm talikng about.

You have to mod the vintage BS frame to make it fit. So you just can't say.....use the BS frame.

Now we are in the same page. :D