TD-7492's first attempt at weathering.

TD-7492

It's a tad bit to splotchy for my taste and in a way looks more like camouflage. However, I haven't seen armor look like that before so that is a one of a kind paint job.

Personally, I would get rid of the gray paint, and make the armor as a whole a bit darker. I just used Burn Umber and some other dark brown, with a very small bit of gray for added shading.

Here is a pic of my armor, can't find a good full body shot.

IMG_0222

It is your armor and you paint it how you like it, cuz after all your wearing it :)

Hey Moose, how are you?

Sorry that no one had replied yet, its weird that I missed this post since I normally read every single thing posted here everyday. But I did.

Sorry for that.

I am taking the liberty to post one of your picts here too, so everyone can see what we are talking about first hand.

post-1761-086128600 1290097296_thumb.jpg

Fisrt thing I have to say is: Welcome to the dirty side!! And once you go dirty you will never want to go back. ;)

I bet lots of troopers were surprised to see you all cover up in dirt!! GREAT! :D Dirt is something some of us just cant avoid feeling attracted to.

Now, for the weathering part....

I would say it is a good first attempt.

Very important question, how do you feel about it?

The idea here is to make it look as much as possible as a natural, organic kind of dirt accumulation on the armor.

This means trying to avoid any brushed, painted or recognizable patterns.

Yours looks good, and I can tell you followed the suggested technique either by watching other armors or by following tutorials. The first thing I would suggest is trying to scrub it a bit more, and make the patterns less evident. The colors are a good choice, most of us use a mix of gray or black, under a few different tans. I can tell you did that of course. But the gray is a bit too exposed and there are patterns you can see, like oval shapes and alike.

The brown is in the correct places, it is just a bit to saturated. I mean, too much paint and it does not fades in a natural way into white. It is a bit more painted than stained. If you get what I mean.

My suggested next steps would be, try to use a dry soft cloth, or a scotchbrite sponge, the green stuff, and clean a bit here and there, trying to take as much paint as you like, until you get a more organic look. Dont worry about taking too much of the paint off. You will do it eventually, and then add another layer of paint in different patterns and scrub it off again and again.

That way you will end up with different layers of the same (or similar) colors, in different patterns, concentration and textures.

You can still use the gray layer as a base under the tan, I personally use black. But remember you want a sandtrooper to look more dirty and sandy, with earth tones. Too much black and gray is fine for clones, but we want to be more tan and sand.

Finally, most important of all, dont be discouraged or disappointed if you dont achieve the look you want at first. This is one of the slowest most elaborated parts of building a TD. And since it will be one of the most distinguishing sides of a TD, you want it to be awesome... But to achieve that, eventhough there are some really gifted artists among our lines that achieve it on the first try, most of us have to do it several times to achieve the desired look. Practice makes perfects. And as you might already know, when you think you are done, there is something new you want to do or try... and start all over again ;)

And just in case you have not seen this, I really recommend Pandatrooper's video tutorials here. Im sure it will help you and give you some cool ideas to try.

http://forum.mepd.ne...?showtopic=7290

I love this hobby!

This is a very good first attempt, Im sure you will end up with a great weathering very soon!

If you have any more questions or doubts, pls feel free to ask. We will be happy to help you out!

Saludos

PS. BTW bro, wouldn't you want to upgrade your profile and get 501st status and access in the forum?

Just post here:

http://forum.mepd.ne...?showtopic=1536