Modular backpack?

sandtrooper

I'm new to armor building including the backpack. Because of this I haven't yet figured out how the components for the backpack are attached to the frame. I'm wondering if it's possible to build a backpack with components that can be swapped out. In this way one generic backpack can be made to resemble the different ones saw in ANH based on the owner's desire at the time.

Just curious if it's possible.

I think it was names something like "another pack for france" or something like that.

I know it was about someone making a pack for someone else... a second pack that is... so therefore the ANOTHER, and it was supposed to be sent to another country, so: FRANCE.

let me see if I can find it.

I also know Rick mention he would try and develop a modular pack a few months ago, and so did I. But I have not started that project.

Will be back in a min,

Saludos

Cant find it...

The thread for France... was Quartermaster's and although he did a modular pack, it was a different kind of modular...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7078

Will keep looking for it.

Anyone else?

Saludos

That's the one I was thinking of actually.

I do remember, however, that there was another one talking about adding on everything and swapping it out. Seems like Rick may have started it.

That's the one I was thinking of actually.

I do remember, however, that there was another one talking about adding on everything and swapping it out. Seems like Rick may have started it.

Yep, I remember it too.

If Im not wrong, it was someones build thread, and somebody else posted about his own pack having modular parts for portraying different packs.

Or maybe it was just that someone asked about swopping parts, and the topic owner said "Oh yes, I actually did that in this very pack".

Or maybe Im just going crazy of so much info and trying to memorize every thread and topic ever posted.

LOL...

I have already made several searches and went though many topics, but cant find anything other than a couple of questions or mentions of interchanging parts.

Ill keep searching for it.

I just hope it is not as those droids... **** those have been difficult to find.

;)

Saludos

I think I had talked about the idea at some point, but decided to stick to 1 pack to match my armor since I was replicating one specific TD.

One way I was thinking of doing it was drilling multiple holes in the upper seed tray, along the use of zip ties (like my tutorial) to swap parts out. You could also use bolts glued in from the inside facing out to mount accessories. The lower tray pretty much has the radio and cistern all the time on all of the packs, so you probably don’t need to swap much there.

I wouldn’t use rare earth magnets to hold parts on. While they are strong, one solid bump could mean a part falling on the ground = smashed part. Plus multiple rare earth magnets can mess up electronics (don’t put rare earth magnets near LCD screens, you can ruin them easily!)

Yes, Ive got a "modular" based pack....its basically designed to allow the wearer the ability to trade out the trays for a different version. Im still playing around with the attachment material but as of right now industrial grade velco works the best. in "most" cases the top tray is the major difference in the packs...so if you make the top tray removable you would be able to build other trays to be attached.

i will have pics eventually :)

I sort of remembered it was you Terry... but couldn't remember for sure.

(you're a sandtrooper on here now too btw) :duim:

And of course you have a modular one Rick!!!

Post some pics asap for this guy will ya? B)

I have read every related thread on the first 3 pages and found nothing.

I actually think that since I don't remember ever discussing or seeing any functional mechanism for changing parts, most likely it has never been posted.

I guess what I remember having read is exactly what Terry and Rick have just posted: ideas, and some discussion, but not an entire thread or actual in depth discussion.

Anyway, I have this still in the back burner... So, someone will come up with it sooner or later.

Just a bit here, I has thinking about permanently attaching the screws to removable parts as canisters, tool boxes etc. And then just fix them to the seedtray with butterfly knots. My upper box already has hinges and can be open no problem... Same thing could be done to the lower boxes.

Velcro is another option... but wouldn't trust it too much.

Just this morning I was thinking that I should probably get a new bucket and make it after the "look sir droids" so I could use my white pauldron without feeling awkward... As if ppl noticed it LOL ;)

Saludos.

Lol Juan....we are an obsessed bunch aren't we?

I've been using the industrial grade Velcro for the trays....it works perfect. Just have to attach to an unpainted surface

LOL!

Are we?????

Posted Image

So, industrial velcro works fine for your conversion system??

I have not used it in a while. Been to much into trying to make stuff as they did it back in the 70s...

I used to have everything attached together with industrial strength velcro in my first kit and pack, just now prefer more mechanic things like rivets, and snaps and screws...

You must finish your pack system and post some picts bro!!!

;)

We need to see that this idea can work.

Saludos.

Yes, Ive got a "modular" based pack....its basically designed to allow the wearer the ability to trade out the trays for a different version. Im still playing around with the attachment material but as of right now industrial grade velco works the best. in "most" cases the top tray is the major difference in the packs...so if you make the top tray removable you would be able to build other trays to be attached.

i will have pics eventually :)

Rick, if you have alternate top trays with different configurations, you could easily install L brackets inside like I did, and then zip tie them internally. Swapping the top tray out is easy, just snip the zip ties, put the alternate tray on, zip tie it back up!

Rick, if you have alternate top trays with different configurations, you could easily install L brackets inside like I did, and then zip tie them internally. Swapping the top tray out is easy, just snip the zip ties, put the alternate tray on, zip tie it back up!

Sounds very good.

Shopping list:

1 new top seedtray

1 wide tube

several thiner tubes

1stow-n-go tupperware

Zip ties

Now... where did I left my wallet?

LOL...

Will definitely try something like this... maybe starting in January.

Saludos

I recently finished a "Pack #:2" and used self tapping screws across the back to attach the trays....same basic idea and allows them to be removed. not sure if it would work with seed trays based on the thickness of the plastic though.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys. Right now I don't know the first thing about how backpacks are put together, so have some studying to do. I just thought it would be cool to be able to portray different TDs based on the pauldron being worn.