I need a new morter tube...Crashmann, help!

Marcus

The main focus of this particular pack was weight and keeping it as light as possible. The tube that was on this pack is made of very thin tubular plastic and would like to have the same unit.

The morter tube has cracked and split verticle. I need a new tube and would like to reuse the other components.

Dude!?! I feel your pain, my pack fell on the ground the other week and broke my radio. At least it was repairable. I would go with the PVC pipe too which isn't too much more weight, but the Crashmann tube was super light.

this is what I use as well....

That's what I plan to do next time. I broke the Crashmann pipe in a short time frame lol, fixed it with a white abs tube (painted black of course), which has been great but it gets scratched, next time, will just be the black tube for sure.

It sounds like you've got it sorted out Marcus. I checked several plumbing supply stores in my area for black ABS pipe, but they did not carry it - something about local building codes prohibited plumbers from using it :wacko:

My intent for the clear pipe was to choose something lightweight for the pack, as every little bit adds up during a long troop. I'm sorry to hear folks have been having trouble with the pipe. I'll go digging to find another source for the black ABS pipe again.

Charlie

There are some wacky building codes in most areas that prohibit the use of the black ABS as opposed to the white ABS. The black ABS is less than half the weight of the white stuff.

Where I live in Orange County, NY, Lowes and The Home Depot can't sell it due to the building code. I am lucky that I work in Rockland County, NY about 35 miles away and the Lowes and Depot carry it there. I can get it anytime for anyone who is looking for it. I will cut it to the correct length prior to shipping.

Hey guys, not sure if you’re interested. But up here in Canada, they use a different type of ABS pipe called “cell core”. It’s a black ABS pipe, with a solid outer and inner surface, but the “core” of the plastic has little bubbles in it, like miniature hollow pockets. I believed this is designed for colder climates so that water doesn’t freeze, etc.

Anyways, this black ABS is MUCH lighter than standard 40 schedule ABS, it’s about the same weight as PVC and in some cases depending on size – even lighter.