Noob question on the ab/backplate connection

Kivas

Hi All, not sure if this is in the right spot or not

I've re-worked almost all of the TD I have - and well... test fit... and there is a huge gap between

the ab plate and back plate on the sides.

Now, I am 5'10 180 and the guy who had it before me was bigger - so - I've searched through the forums

how are people modding this? It's and fx kit - or am I screwed and need to get a different ab and backplate?

I have to say I was excited how I was able to put this back together until I put it on and went - uh... that looks like poo doo - especially considering I am used to two clone costumes.

thanks for your help in advance.

Sounds like the guy before trimmed it too much on the sides, but don't worry... this is a pretty easy fix.

Just get any sort of white plastic and do a "shim" inside that connects the front and back.

Most people buy a sheet of ABS, so it matches exactly, but I've used white storage container plastic before on some in the past and it works well too.

I'm shocked it's not closing.

Especially if you're that height and weight and it's FX armor!

But, like I said, easy fix. B)

Can you upload some pics?

(I'd just like to see it.)

Hey Ron. Basically, you need to shim the sides as Noel stated. You can glue the shims to the back armor, so that they extend and touch the ab armor. On the left side, you can rivet some black elastic to create a clamshell hinge, and even use visible rivets (like the screen used suits). The right side can be secured with velcro.

There's an article here on the FISD that talks about shimming and other FX mods as this is pretty common for TK's and TD's that need to upsize their armor.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=12478

Let us know if you need more help!

blah - sorry guys - I know I saved them with the proper rotation

Notice my nice new shiney boots :)

And ya I know no neck seal - and due to re-workign some parts overall needs more weathering.

OH!

Yeah... this isn't nearly as bad as I was picturing!

This is no big deal at all! :)

Just shim them with plastic like we've said and you're good to go!

They're almost closed already... very easy fix. B)

OH!

Yeah... this isn't nearly as bad as I was picturing!

This is no big deal at all! :)

Just shim them with plastic like we've said and you're good to go!

They're almost closed already... very easy fix. B)

Exactly....very easy to fix. if you cant find the plastic, let me know....ill send you some

Looking good Ron, nice to see it coming together! Can I make a few suggestions?

The thighs look a little big for you. I think you can still pull them up a bit (I see some room at the tops near the hips), but I think it would also look better if the top outsides of the thighs had more of a taper down to them (see red lines). I also think the lower thighs around the knees look like they have a lot of room. You could separate the rear seam, and cut a triangle out like this diagram, and then re-glue the thigh. This would result in a more "fitted" look for the thighs.

Also, I don't know how far you want to go - but one thing that's always bugged me about the FX chest is that it's really long and the lower edge above the ab plate isn't quite right. You could make the neck opening a little deeper, then pull the chest up. On the bottom, you can trim it and add a return edge (via heat sealing iron).

If you wanted to, I would offer to do the lower trimming return edge for you - no charge. :)

All in all though, you've got a cool setup! One more layer of darker brown / dirt and you're good to go!

post-3270-001417000 1286429759_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips - there actually isn't alot of room at the top of the legs - bottoms, certainly especially the left leg - man what a pain to simply try to heat it into a roundish position (which I am not happy with).

The problem is I've already taken this kit apart from the previous owner and just concerned about how easily this stuff tears in comparision to my Clones.

I also had some strapping issues that need to be re-done and I am not sure whether I'll go as far as the chest mods.

One thing that might help the legs to look higher is if you lowered the belt a bit — which really should be done anyway I think.

Look at the blue lines...

post-2020-089329900 1286487905_thumb.jpe