Muppet's AM TD build

Guest Muppet

Guest cvg_1786690492

Purchased a set of AM armour a couple of weeks back and have decided to go dirty with it. I can't wait to dirty it up actually.

I'm also aiming for MPED deployed, so am following the requirements very closely.

Here is what im up to.

Posted Image " Rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates: a total of six rivets with three on the ab and three on the kidney plate, equally spaced out along the depth of the armour and about 10mm from the edge. They may be painted white, or not "

Posted Image " Armor side gaps should be closed. This should be done by adding a shim or shims of material that must be of similar material and color as the ab and back plate. Shims should fit flush and may have seams. Ideally they will be seamless if possible to the ab and/or back plate, resulting in a single seam between the ab/back rather than extra seams for where the shims are joined."

Posted Image "Left side Ab plate has three buttons, painted white." Used the round snap die as a guide, i cut out 3 round pieces from extra abs that was leftover.

Posted Image Have attached the back and chest pieces via white webbing, and have glued most pieces. Still final trimming and sanding needed.

Now a couple of little issues i've struck. With the AM armour, were the front part of the belt attaches to the ab plate, it doesnt align with the flat part of it, but where the piece tapers into the cod piece (a little hard to explain) may have to build up the gap to make it sit flush.

Also with the seperated butt piece, i find that it wants to stick out and not sit flush ( no Baby Got Back jokes pls) even with the connecting staps to the kidney plate and under the cod piece.

Will need to have a look at other builds to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

For the backpack, managed to buy a radio facia, and following the MPED tutorials, have started saving the wet wipe containers, and i have a heap of old tupperware contains of all shapes that I think will work with it.

Ken

Hi Ken and congratulations on choosing the sandy side of the Empire!

I don't know the best way to handle covering your butt, however I would strongly recommend digging through PandaTrooper's AM build thread on FISD:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10434

Tons of great information and recommendations to modify the plastic to create the custom fit you are looking for. You don't have to implement everything presented, but it certainly offers lots of good ideas.

Good luck!

Charlie

Lookin' good so far man!

Yes, I helped a friend build an AM a few weeks ago and found that same issue with the belt. I'm not sure what other people do, but building it up is a good solution. We just left it "floating" and it ended up giving him "problems."

I know some other people have had that butt plate issue too... so I'm sure there are solutions out there.

Glad to have you here, and glad to have you going dirty!!! B)

Hey Ken. I am in the middle of an "AM" build myself and wanted to share a few things I did that may help you.

First, with the butt plate. I actually didn't leave mine floating. I attached it to the back plate from the inside using ABS strips and ABS adhesive. I prefer the one piece butt and back like it was in the old FX. It is a much more rigid section now and I am having no problems with the butt piece sticking out or not sitting flush.

This mod does limit your mobility slightly, but again, I prefer the "tight" one piece fit.

I also noticed you have quite an overhang of ABS on the sides of the butt plate.

Posted Image

I wonder if there is not enough room for your upper thighs and hips and this is causing the butt piece to push out.

Here is what mine looks like.

Posted Image

See how mine lines up with the seam on the side. My croth pieces also line up with each other almost perfectly. I noticed your butt crotch piece is about 3-4 inches lower than your cod crotch piece. This could be adding to your problem.

My back plate is now slightly higher than my AB plate as well. This will allow the back piece to slide slightly under my upper back armor.

For getting the belt to lay more flat against the armor, in your build direcctions it has aa small mod that will help with this. It calls for the small center square just below the center of the AB plate to be "cut out" or removed. This will allow the center square of the ammo belt to lay more flush against the armor.

Posted Image

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with any questions or check out my build thread here: http://forum.mepd.ne...?showtopic=7214

Looking really good so far! The AM kit fits you well, I had to cut so much off of mine!

One small piece of feedback re: the rivets on the side of the ab for the future. I know you've already installed them. but the rivets should be spaced further apart. The bottom rivet should be covered by the belt, leaving only the top 2 rivets exposed.

A small detail, again it doesn't take away anything from your build. Overall it looks great!

Trimmed the sides of the butt piece and also off the top, and trimmed a piece out of the bottom part of the kidney piece. Sitting pretty well now, and the crotch lower pieces now line up.

Next onto the belt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Muppet

Havent done too much more to the TD, just hard when you're away during the week with work, but i've managed to get most of the backpack together. After seeing the pics, the backpack needs to come up a bit.

I ran the shoulder pouch thru the backpack harness, is how its done?

Cheers Ken

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Guest Muppet

yup pretty much,,if ya home tomora, i can bring mine over so you can see how ive got my ammo pouch n pack?

Cool, around 10ish, i have some stuff planned for the afternoon.

cheers ken

Getting there is slow sometimes... but you're getting there. ;)

The pack will need to sit higher up; I'm sure you know that already.

But yeah, good job man!

Just keep plugging away!

Guest Muppet

Getting there is slow sometimes... but you're getting there. ;)

The pack will need to sit higher up; I'm sure you know that already.

But yeah, good job man!

Just keep plugging away!

Yeap, after seeing it in the pics, a bit hard when its on, lol

Man i cant wait to finish this and weather everything up

Guest Muppet

Love the weather we've been having in the south east corner of Qld, rain and more rain, so i managed to complete a few smaller things, ammo belt fitted to thigh, knee plate fitted,all webbing and strapping done and sharp leading edges removed or sanded smooth.

Next will be the helmet, and am looking for a build thread on one,(if someone knows the link to one pls lmk-AP preferred) to see how they cut the dome front for the frown.

Wont get anymore done for a few weeks now, will be interstate.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

small update,

All the armour is done, a couple of things to finish off on the backpack. Put the helmet together for a test fit. Just need to paint the traps,etc and then all the building is done. Then the weathering begins.

Ken

Posted Image

Im having problems finding a suitable "radar" dish for the back pack here in Australia. Been looking thru tupperware shops but no luck. Any suggestions?

Well i tried my hand at weathering, trying to aim for the sandy colour starting heavier at the bottom.

I used 2 sandy type colours over a couple of layers.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

after some weathering (it looks dirtier in real life) tried on all the armour. A bit of trimming for comfort still needed but will do so when all finished. Im aiming for Black Pauldron Private #4

Only need to finish helmet, mortar tube and radar dish, weather backpack,pauldron,pouches and mg15

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image