Back in Blac... well, more of a sandy brown and tan hues, I guess

PNerves

Heya! I'm slowly trying to get back into this brilliance after a hectic 2 years of starting grad school and buying a house. The first phase of getting the new place livable, including setting up the garage, is done and the armor- in need of much attention- is on the work bench. Look forward to getting back into the swing.

Welcome back bro...

So now that you have your new house and new garage ready, Im assuming you have a nice workshop there to work on the armor!!

(wish I had a real place to work in my props :) )

Give some love to that armor and come join us again in the pit as soon as you can!

:)

Saludos.

I will echo what Juan said!

Welcome... welcome... welcome...

back... back... back...

bro... bro... bro...

How was that? :P

=======

You'll want to get that deployment redone as well.

August was the month that the "no more FX" rule kicked in. So yes... hurry and get dirty (again)... and — seriously — welcome back man! B)

So- to get things started- I'm going to photograph some of the elements that I think may need revisiting, and get some advice and pointers on what needs to be re-done. I know I have to make several new armor mods. I'm also unsure about my scratch pack, pouches and weapons. Is there a place I should post all these things in one thread- such as here- or should I do them separately in the related sections?

You can post them all here... we'll just let this become your "work-in-progress" / "up-to-snuff" thread. :)

Other command staff I'd say to get in on this are... Dirty Boy for pack advice, Juan for pouches, and Rolf for basically everything else. Zac will chime in when you're actually getting close with anything we're all missing. And there's pandatrooper, Quartermaster, Gordonator and the others who will surely be a great help too.

I get excited about these "revisiting" threads!

It's what I did with all my armor (and pack)... and keep doing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few of the issues I may have- bucket, belt, sniper plate, pouches and ab plate. I have to shim up the ab on the side, and after looking at my scratch pack again- I'm just going to start over. Give it to me straight, Doc...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey Paul...

Great to see you have the right attitude for improving your armor.

For what I can see, I think you are close to mark. The most important mod I think you should be making is the weathering. For what I can see, I would say try and re-weather your whole armor. It will give you a better all around look. Remember you want it to look like it just came out of a sand storm, and not so much as mud or even paint. There are some areas that already look good, but other will need a complete make over I think.

The belt, the main issue I can see are those extra buttons there. If you could take them off and maybe restore the wholes Im sure will be left, thats would be good enough. You could use those buttons over the plastic squares on both ends of the belt where I can only see a small "dot", cause you need a bigger circle shaped plastic over the squares.

The ammo pouches doesn't look bad at all. Maybe a bit short but Im almost shure you can use those for deployment no problem. Maybe Zac, Noel or Rick can confirm this.

Sniper plate, I see no problem there.

Ab Plate, it looks kindof fine. I think it might just need to be a bit more in the front. I mean, it looks like it was in a deeper layer than the rest of the ab. But this might be caused by camera lighting, lens and angle, or the weathering. Just check that. The shape is alright I think.

Bucket, I think there are a couple things you could do to improve it. First of all, you will need to make an extra hole on each side of the frown so that you have 4 per side. Maybe repaint the frown. I think I see a few places where the teeth look white on the side or even back (or it could be the reflection of the flash). Remember no paint should leave the teeth area. I would suggest to just paint the teeth area and not finish up at the end with such a long "joker's grin" if you know what I mean.

The vocoder looks fine, but if you wish to, you could paint it a little more alike the ANH vocoders. I mean, the 3 central strips and the next pair should not be so different lengthwise.

And finally, maybe check the blue tube stripes so that you can have an accepted amount, but none of them goes under the ear part.

So...

Hope this helps bro.

If you have any question, feel free to ask.

Im sure soon there will be more opinions here... so maybe just wait to read them before going to the work bench.

:)

Saludos.

Great suggestions Juan! I think the pouch is fine for a belt pouch. It's too short for the shoulder pouch I believe.

Look at what a big difference can be made on the bucket with just a few tweaks.

All I did on this image was:

• raise the brow
  • open the teeth up (i.e. made them "bigger)
  • added the 4th tooth
  • cut the eyes open just a bit more at the inner tips
  • "painted" the vocoder (badly) so it's bigger like ANH

And look at it now...

Posted Image

I would take Juan's advice and repaint the frown, but opening the teeth more on it really makes it look a lot better. Less of a "curve" on the insides of the teeth opening... more straight up and down.

I didn't do anything to the tube stripes here either. That's something else that would be an easy fix though. B)

• 2 weeks later...