Captains Pack build for France

Quartermaster

Here are some photos of my most recent project. I had a fellow Sandtrooper in France order a pack from me. Problem is, the shipping on a completed pack to France is ridiculously expensive due to the size box it will be shipped in. I had to "think outside the box" on this one (no pun intended of course, LOL).

Came up with a "Modular" frame so the pack can be broken down into 2 secctions for easier and less expensive shipping. Wanted to make it as easy as possible for him to assemble it on his end. Here is what I have so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Going a little old school with this one by utilizing an old Crashmann syphon setup I had laying around. Homemade exhaust port made out of an electrical box, some 3/4" pvc pipe, some plastic flex tubing and a hose clamp. Shotgun shells are made from leftover 1/2" pvc pipe used to make the frame.

Lookin' good man!

I like the idea of actually joining the joints together with something more than E-6000 or the like. I may do that. One of mine had already came "un-glued" recently. Easy fix, but you don't want that happenin' on a troop! B)

Great idea to make it modular for shipping.

No'l, on one of my other frames, I glued the joints in the PVC frame and also popped a 1/8" rivet through each junction. This will prevent the joint from spinning / coming apart.

Got most of the pack assembled last night. Just have to install the radar dish and thermal pad on the mortar tube and pick up a set of silver switches for the radio. As usual, all the knobs on the radio actually turn and click like a real working unit. The radio faceplate is connected to the ABS box by two small screws at the top and bottom. Plenty of room in the radio for a speaker for your MEPD loop. Padded shoulder straps are also installed.

The modular assembly works like a charm. Even the mortar tube breaks down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was able to get the mortar tube assembly done and weather the pack. Just have to install the 2 switches in the radio today.

This pack is done and ready to ship to it's new owner, TD0806 in France!

Breakdown and re-assembly of the pack is quick and easy with 3 bolts and wing nuts.

Final weight tops out at about 7 1/2 pounds!

I will post shipping cost savings on this once I have hard numbers.

Overseas troopers that are looking for a completed pack ready to wear out of the box (with minor assembly) this is the way to go!

Here are the completed pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, TD0806 has approved the completed photos and we are ready to ship.

BTW Noel, he sent me a photo of your Captains Pack as the one he wanted. It actually had your name and TD# at the bottom of the pic! LOL

Not sure how close I came to replicating yours, but I know he is super happy! :D

BTW Noel, he sent me a photo of your Captains Pack as the one he wanted. It actually had your name and TD# at the bottom of the pic! LOL

Not sure how close I came to replicating yours, but I know he is super happy! :D

That's awesome!

He got it from the CRL page I'm guessing... :D

You did an amazing job!

It's a pack I'd be proud of for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome!

He got it from the CRL page I'm guessing... :D

You did an amazing job!

It's a pack I'd be proud of for sure!

Thanks Noel! I absolutely love building these things. I would love to see the day when I can bump into some of the guys that have my packs, just to see them in use in the field. Something to be proud of!

Shipping Update!

Well, this pack has been shipped off to France to it's new owner, TD806. I was able to save him over $225 in shipping costs! :blink:

While not exactly a throw it on your back straight out of the box pack, after about 5-10 minutes of minor assembly on his part, he will be ready to rock & roll! I will post some pics of him trooping with it as soon as he sends me some.

Thanks to everyone for the positive posts in regard to this build!

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work once again John.

Very movie accurate and nice.

Too cool you can take it apart, for better transport for trooping etc.

A+ from here bro ;)

Thanks Rolf! It really means a lot coming from you!

Lots of good wishes sent your way for you and your little guy!