Couple questions

stuntmanmike

Hello,

So I am starting a TD, I have a radio and frame coming but thats it so far. Can you use real spent shotgun shells for the pack? I'm doing the "Move along" pack so I'm just trying to gets things in order so if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Also the other day I say Rustoleum Harbor blue looks very close but not sure if it would pass, that was at ACE Hardware. I'm picky about detail and accuracy ;)

Thanks guys

James

TB 7681

Hey James, how are you doing...

Great thing you are starting a TD and a pack!! Way to go!

The shotgun shells as far as I know have not been 100% identified yet. Most of us just use PVC piping, cut some segments and sometimes add some wire framing inside. Some ppl have used shotgun shells for sure. I have some resting on my storage, waiting for me to decide if I will be using those or staying with the PVC tubes.

I think if you go with the ammo shells, as long as they are correctly painted and placed, you should have no problem at all.

About the color blue, the correct one (at least to date) is the Humbrol 47. You can use 2 or 3 little tins for one whole pack. Some other accepted colors are:

1. Rustoleum Country Blue

2. Rustoleun Satin Slate

3. Rustoleum-American Accent Irish Blue

4. Rustoleum Sky Blue

Of course, there are many other options. As long as you have the correct tone, it is up to you how to get it. The pantone and a small discussion on this here http://forum.mepd.ne...?showtopic=4987

Hope it helps.

Saludos

Juan said it.

Personally — and do hear me say "personally" — I don't think that the real shot gun shells would look as good for some reason. But, I may be wrong. And it's true no one has identified them yet as being "that."

You can get the Lake Blue from Amazon. That's the closest I've seen... next to Humbrol 47.

Hope that all helps man!

Good luck! The pack is an awesome thing to build for sure! B)

Hey James....very cool you are starting the pack for sure. What Juan and Nol said are absolutely right. My original packs were made using the harbor blue paint you mentioned. It does a great job but tends do be a little bright. I used a dark grey primer to mist over it to give a more subtle look. i currently use the lake blue....it's hard to find but easy to use and looks the part. :)

Personally I don't think "real" shotgun shells would be a good choice. They are very flimsy & don't seem like they would hold up to the stress. But I may be wrong.

I couldn't find any of the reccomended colors of spray paint. So I opted for the next best thing. I used Krylon Bahama Sea for the base. I then dusted with gray paint & sanded litely. Next I dusted with flat black & sanded litely. Finally I weathered it with a lite dusting of Krylon Khaki, sanded & finished with Krylon Almond & sanded. Im very happy with the out come :td:

Posted Image