ANH thigh tops for TD's?

pandatrooper

Is it pretty much proved out that all the TD's in ANH had the "ANH" style thigh tops?

I grabbed some screens and adjusted the contrast to see it better, and it looks to be the case.

Posted Image

I know TM incorporates these into his armor, but for TE2 / ATA, etc. it's only on one thigh. Was this because those molds / bucks were from ROTJ or another suit?

Just thinking I might do these thighs on my build. :)

Do 'em!

I don't think anyone is 100% sure why they didn't stay that way through all the molds and what not. More people know a lot more about it than I do, I know that for certain! B)

You can't make your replica thighs look like the ones in the movie without adding material.

The other suits don't have the original shape because the original suit used to make them was chopped down too. You can see in ANH that some of the thigh tops were over trimmed, resulting in some of the thighs having oddly shaped tops. It clear (to me) that the left thigh used to make the original ROTJ armour used one of these over trimmed thighs.

Thanks for the insight guys, great knowledge and background info! Great pics too, Rolf!

Troopermaster, I noticed that the right thigh is a bit longer than the left. And while it doesn’t have the notch in the top, it is pointier and could have had a more defined notch in the past (perhaps it lost the sharpness in detail over through different bucks, 2nd, 3rd generation, etc.)

I know the left thigh will never be as long, but I took a stab at reshaping the left thigh top on my build to be at least somewhat closer to the right. With the battery pack on the bottom of the right thigh, I’m hoping that no one will notice the left is slightly shorter. At least both tops will have that “ANH” look. :)

Thanks guys!

The whole right leg is longer the left side, not just the thigh but the shin too.

The original ANH outer right thigh armour was pointed at the top and it can be seen on some troopers. Most had them cut off in line with the inner section, but that's how they were originally made.