my pack weathering

sir david

hi guys,just a post on weathering techniques used on our packs,with mine i added a small amount of humbrol aluminum paint to edges/corners,then rubbed off excess immediately,to simulate paint wear on boxes radio facie etc; then added a pre made weathering match of the colour on my armour with a sponge and removed excess.

how do you guys do yours????? please post pics guys! :)

Nice!!!

I use a mixture of natural sand and water....then i use a clear coat matte spray to solidify it. When you touch the pack and my armor it has the feel of real sand....sometimes people get a little on the hands....its really cool. I also use what is called latticrete. Its a real close match to natural sand and is sold as a tile grout. You can get it a Lowes for about $10.00 and will do about 8 sets of armor and packs and blasters and kids faces....etc...etc...etc.. :D :D :D :D plus you can add custom color to it if you decide. once wet it solidifies.

Corporal Pack with removable sidepipe

Shown with above weathering technique

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats nice rick!!!! brad was wondering how ya did it,thats why i started this post,to see the different techniques we apply to our pack builds and weathering B)

KEEP THE PICS COMMING IN BROTHERS! :)

I use good ol' craft paint and paint it on pretty "thick" (not too thick) and then dab and wipe it off quickly so it stays in the crevasses and creases where sand would stick. Some I let dry longer than others so it "builds up." I then take real light coats of it sort of "everywhere" and wipe it all off with a damp paper towel. Again, the places it "sticks" more than others are places that I think sand would stick.

It always looks a little "painted" to me in pics — I think — but in person it's really good.

(I also always keep this fact in mind when seeing pics of other's packs.) B)

Posted Image

Cool topic, and great looking weathering on your pack Dave. Looks like you have seen a lot of action down on tatooine. I like it!

What I did for mine was just spraying some hairspray here and there, and then just spread some real dirt over it... Looks kindof cool I think.

Here it is:

post-1761-023673100 1276182368_thumb.jpg

Saludos.

To weather my pack, first I take a can of silver spray paint. I spray some on a rag and rub it on any corners, raised edges or anywhere I think there might be wear. It gives the effect of the paint rubbing off exposing metal underneath. Then I take a can of Rustoleum Textured spray paint in Sand color. I spray it heavy in any creases of the pack and lighter on the flat surfaces. This stufff is cool because it has little specks and granuales of tan, brown and black in it and it feels like real sand. It has a gritty feel to it and looks like it was sand blasted on. Here are some before and after pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

mine was coated in a heavy layer of spray on glue and the contents of a mates rural backyard thrown all over it. once it was left in the sun for 10min shook the majority of it off and presto, instant filth. Never been known to do anything in 'half measures' :blink::lol:B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that was 2008,below is 2010, still looks the part :)

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

For my wife's pack I used Krylon spray paint. Painted all parts individually before assembly. Each part was painted it's base color(Bahama Sea, satin & flat black) & sanded litly to remove any sheen. I then spray painted with Khaki, sanded most of it off. It stayed in the nooks & crannies. Finally lite dusting with Almond & lite sanding. Assembled & instant dirty pack :td:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image