Weathering tips for other types of Troopers

IanL

Hi All,

I apologize if this is off-topic as far as the trooper type is concerned, but it appears we have many great experts that can possibly help me out in my quest.

I am a prospective member of the 501st, and I am currently assembling a costume. I was thinking about trying out a snowtrooper costume as well as a TD. I checked the 501st member roll for weathering ideas on a Snowtrooper and every costume seems to be pristine white. I would think the Blizzard Force would get as banged up and dirty as the Desert guys, so I was hoping to get some hints on colors and techniques to weather up a set of snowtrooper armor.

My second question is along the same lines. Weathing the hard goods seems pretty easy, but how would you recommend weathing the soft goods in a snowtrooper outfit such as the duster jacket and tail, and the boots?

Yeah, it's a little cheesy that people keep their costumes shiny & neat, when on screen they weren't. You could do a "wash" on the armor, make it subdued. Possibly even lightly misting it from a few feet away w/ black spray paint, to give it a more dingy color. You can lightly dye fabrics, to make them look a little dirty. You can also accelerate wear by putting them through some "punishment".

how would you recommend weathing the soft goods in a snowtrooper outfit such as the duster jacket and tail, and the boots?

TK(TD) 2802 has used dry-brushing with great success. You can see his post in the backpack area and the results thereof. I've also seen his weathered pauldron up close and it looks great.

how would you recommend weathing the soft goods in a snowtrooper outfit such as the duster jacket and tail, and the boots?

TK(TD) 2802 has used dry-brushing with great success. You can see his post in the backpack area and the results thereof. I've also seen his weathered pauldron up close and it looks great.

It was a joint effort with daetrin on weathering the armor - so he deserves credit too for making the plunge (and use of his garage). We both relied on Braks buddy tutorial for the weathering of the hard goods. But soft goods for the snowtrooper might be a different matter. As td6025 suggested, you might put it through some actual wear and tear to get that weathered look. Hopefully some actual snowies can give you some ideas in this thread.