Humbrol 47 just arrived!

iconoclasta_88

Ok!

So finally, after a couple of years looking for the elusive Humbrol 47, today I got this on the mail:

But now what?

I know Im supposed to mix it with some thinner or something to make it easier to paint and also so that it covers more area. But dont really know how to use it.

I have read in a few threads that ppl do it, but cant find how they do it.

So, if anyone can give me some hints, I would appreciate it much.

THX

Saludos

Hi

You can use Humbrol thinners to thin it down but i would use thinners if i intend to airbrush the parts if not paint straight from the tin.

Hope this helps.

Just make sure you stir and shake the paint well before you start (scrape the bottom well with a match or something, mix any "chunks" with the rest of the paint until smooth, then shake the tin vigorously for at least a minute). Also, let the first layer dry for at least 6 hours, before starting on the next coat. If you need to do a third and fourth, I´ve found that a couple of hours drying time is sufficient. Use a square, flat brush and lay the paint on really thin, if you want nice and even coats. After the second coat, I usually rub it down lightly with some P240 sandpaper to get rid of any runs or hairs, then apply a thin, third coat.

I botched my first attempt at painting the traps and frown by putting on a second coat less than an hour after the first. This caused the first layer to liquefy, so when I checked on the helmet a few hours later, it was sitting in a small pond of Humbrol #5. I had to use copious amounts of White Spirit on the helmet, and some whisky on myself, to get things fixed so I could start over again. And though the whisky part made it more fun, there are better ways to spend an evening.