Info needed on strapping sytem

Short TRooper

Hi guys!

It's been a long tie since I've been on here as I've had a Pardon me, :( hellish last year with numerous hospital trips and a possible bone cancer diagnosis...no treatment as yet as they are watching it, and I am getting therapy......in between hospital trips I"ve been working on my armor, and have it finished being weathered and am in the process of working on finishing the back pack that a member on here made for me. :)

My first question is on the strap part how do you attach it to the frame?

My second question is how do yo wear it under the armor? Can some one please post a few pics for me on how you put it on????

I also need to know how you "weather" the outside of the back pack?

Thanks you for the info guys!

I weather my packs (and armor) with craft paints. It gives me the most control and looks ultra-realistic in person.

There are a number of ways to attach the components to the frame.

Check out these tutorials to start...

Cheap & easy CPVC pack frame tutorial

Field Pack Build From the Garage of Scootch

Mike's pack build

Like where that first one links to. ;)

I can get pics... but I put my pack on after my chest and back. I armor-up in this order...

1) calves

2) ab plate / kidney plate / cod & butt plate (they're riveted together so I "step into" them)

3) thighs

4) biceps

5) chest / back / shoulders (all connected)

6) PACK

7) pauldron

8) gloves

9) forearms

10) hand plates

11) helmet

So... you see where the pack falls in that order... #6.

Above and over the shoulders and such.

That help?

I attached my straps to the frame just looping the elastic around it and sewing it lots... hehehe... then put some "plastic fasterners" on the frame on both sides of the elastic to prevent it from moving around.

As how I wear it. Its a bit tricky. I first wear my back plate, the put the pack on and lock the two straps with the across chest strap. The pack straps coming from outwards the shoulder straps and inwards the chest. then put the chest plate over the pack straps... then the shoulder bells over the pack straps... Kindof confusing, but at the end it fits cool and comfortable and can hardly be seen...

Will try post some picts soon.

Saludos...

And best vibe for you... :) Hope its all better than last year from now on.

Be strong and stay good!

Here's a drawing of where I would recommend attaching the straps to the frame:

Posted Image

You've got a couple of options to attach the straps to the frame. The easiest is to wrap the elastic strap around the frame and use some thick clear goopy glue to secure it - such as E-6000, Shoo-Goo, etc...

Another option is to drill a couple of holes for rivets. I don't like that idea since it breaks the elastic in the webbing.

Posted Image

Good luck!

Charlie

Thank you all for the information...and if some can post a picture on how you wear it that would be great! I know you've told me how you do it but a picture is better as seeing it is easier than explaining it to me... :0Lighten:

Thank you all and will get to work on the straps today....

ShortTrooper (Diana)

Another option is to drill a couple of holes for rivets. I don't like that idea since it breaks the elastic in the webbing.

Hey man... question... is that long roll of elastic webbing strap that comes in your kit for the pack straps?

(I've obviously not started assembling it yet...) B)

Just:

1. Click Add reply

2. Select picture with "choose a file" button

3. Click "Attach this file"

4. Once attached the files will appear Just below the reply box. At the right of the window there will be a red hyperlink reading "Add to Post", click it and the code will appear in the main reply box exactly where the cursor was. (if you dont do this the picture will appear at the bottom of the post as an attachment).

Repeat this as needed.

Once finished, click Add Reply.

Thats it...

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

I did try that but it says the files are too big...and this computer is so old it's not compatable with some uploader programs I"ve tried.... :(:angry:

I am trying to find a way to make the pictures smaller...or can some one tell me how I can get into another picture hosting site??

ShortTrooper (Diana)

ok I made an account on Flickr and here is the URL to my site I hope....I tried to post a picture here from flickr and it wont do it....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmgphotostarwars/

I hope this works...It has the pictures my youngest took of me in my armor after I got it done...I know my shoes arent the best.....

ShortTRooper (Diana)

:blink:

IS that all I had to do? I use Firefox and will have to try that one! I am going to work on my backpack today after I get back from therapy and get the straps on... Thanks pappy1182!

HOw long do you usaualy make the straps and how does the pack sit...kind of in the center of the back? If it does I will have to put some foam padding in the inside back of my armor so it wont hurt the T-9 vertebre where my "hot spot bone"is...

Hopefully I can get some pics of it later today or over the weekend! PLus I need to "dirty" my shoes! They are still white...

Where do you get the little fans at for inside the helmet? and is there a tutorial on here to put them in? Thanks!

OH yeah...when you apply for deployment...do you have to go through the 501st first and apply there or do I go through here first and then over there?

ShortTRooper (Diana)

Yes Ma'am it's just right click on the image you want to share :)

People usually using a computer fans,and I knew that are cheaper alternatives for it too,but unfortunately I don't know exactly,and the way people put it is vary due to helmet size and face type,if you use the search button for 'fans' maybe you can find what suits you

For the straps I think it's vary,and I suggest you used methods that looked accurate from the outside but on the other hand you feel comfortable,the foam on the bottom is one because the pack usually sits on the buttplate too.

For deployment you must first become a member on the 501st and then apply for deployment here

Wish you a healthy days :salute:

is that long roll of elastic webbing strap that comes in your kit for the pack straps?

Yes, the 2" wide elastic is to be used for the backpack straps. Split it in half and attach them to the frame.

Congratulations on your armor Diana - it looks great! Maybe you could put the foam padding inside your armor to help cushion and spread the weight of the backpack on your lower spine.

Charlie

Yes, the 2" wide elastic is to be used for the backpack straps. Split it in half and attach them to the frame.

Congratulations on your armor Diana - it looks great! Maybe you could put the foam padding inside your armor to help cushion and spread the weight of the backpack on your lower spine.

Charlie

I think that will be a better idea putting it inside than trying to put it on the pack frame in a grey color...I still cant find shoes to fit me, and would you believe the TKBoots are too narrow for my feet!!! :angry:

I am still looking around tho hoping to find something...there is an equestrian shop I found in the next town from here and may get a chance to get there over Easter weekend.

ShortTRooper (Diana)

• 5 weeks later...

One other way to do this with rivets which helps in the "breaking the webbing" issue is to cut a small piece of plastic (shown in red below) and put it on either side of the webbing to drill through. Put the plastic on the webbing BEFORE you drill through it and it keeps the webbing from becoming a mess.

Posted Image

I don't think think I'm not using this method on my new pack — I'm going to glue it — but I did on my 1st one and it works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking GOOD!!!

Posted Image

If you're using firefox,right click,and look for copy image location and paste it to 'insert image' button :)

Dear pappy1182,

I tried to do what you wrote here to post a picture on a thread...and it kept posting a warning saying I wasent allowed to post a picture that way in here???

What am I doing wrong???

ShortTrooper (Diana)