Newbie Helmet Question

hhuggins

After a long wait, my box-o-armor arrived from Authenticprops on Thursday. I've got the helmet almost finished, but I've got a question. The material that was included to cover the edge of the helmet opening is the same as the brow rubber. Is this correct? A test fits seemed kind of funky. Is there anything else that I can use?

Thanks!

HH

HH,

Can you post a photo so we can see the situation as it presents itself? The helmet brow and the helmet "edge" liner should be two different materials.

Guns

Well then something is wrong, because they are the same material. What is the correct part to use? From looking at pics of other helmets, it looks like a tube-like material with a slit down the middle.

HH

That is correcto mundo HH. There should be a "shiny-smooth glossy strip of black plastic long enough to run the length of the bottom of the bucket.

The black (dull) foam should be long enough to run "a tad less than half" of the front of helmet with an "adhesive" side that would, naturally, face the helmet. This foam strip should be "wide". The helmet edge dressing would be less than (give or take) 1/4 inch. And yes it would look a "U" or "C" depending how you look at it!

HH, this is based on my own experience with an FX armor bucket.

Guns

That is correcto mundo HH. There should be a "shiny-smooth glossy strip of black plastic long enough to run the length of the bottom of the bucket.

HH, this is based on my own experience with an FX armor bucket.

Hmmm . . . anyone with a non-FX helmet who can jump in? In any case, it sounds like I'm back to Home Depot to find something similar. Sounds like plastic conduit my do the trick.

HH

That's not the correct trim.

The bottom trim should be 'S' profile and the top square 'U' channel.Some of the found helmets had 'U' channel on the bottom,but was different to that pic above.

I beleive the most accuare stuff I have found anyway,is from www.sealsdirect.co.uk and you want US52 for the brow and SWR150 for the neck.They are almost a perfect match IMO.

Thank goodness. Someone to the rescue! Thanks T-P-M for your invaluable assistance. This young man was getting (is) desperate!

Guns

ePS: After viewing that site, I wonder where the majority of the creators are getting the helmet trim from. The photo provided by CMANavy is of his TE armor bucket - he AND I own TE armor and both of us have the same trim. **Hey Joe, nice speakers.

Thank goodness. Someone to the rescue! Thanks T-P-M for your invaluable assistance. This young man was getting (is) desperate!

Wow, I haven't been called a young man for a while . . .

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! Now I just need to find something to get me by until next week.

HH

Hey HH,

I forgot to ask...are you a member of the 501st? Have you tried to contact anyone from the So Cal Garrison? I am certain THEY have the manpower to help you out!

Guns

ePS: I'm the "self-proclaimed" old man of the Pacific Outpost out here in Hawaii. I guess you could call me POP GUNS! Best of luck with your bucket. Take care & aloha.

Guns

ePS: After viewing that site, I wonder where the majority of the creators are getting the helmet trim from. The photo provided by CMANavy is of his TE armor bucket - he AND I own TE armor and both of us have the same trim. **Hey Joe, nice speakers.

That trim looks great and thats what comes with the TE helmets. If it is off a little bit it will not matter, having a trim makes it look that much better.

BTW - 2581 You should have a set in the next few days, they are in a yellow padded envelope!

forgot to ask...are you a member of the 501st? Have you tried to contact anyone from the So Cal Garrison? I am certain THEY have the manpower to help you out!

Well, I'm in a Catch-22: I can't join the 501st until I have my armor built, and apparently no one in the SoCal garrison will talk with me until I'm in the 501st. I spent several weeks trying to find someone in my area who could give me a hand. I've sent the GML an email, but can't get a reply and I can't post to the SoCal garrsion forums because I'm not a member. I filled out a membership application at the 501st homepage, but I haven't heard anything from anyone about it. Oddly enough, the one response I did get was from the head of a garrison in Virginia. They let me join their Yahoo forum and treat me like a full member. He actually contacted the SoCal GML who told him that I'd have to go through the 501st before he would contact me.

Bummer.

HH

Well HH, that does put a damper on things, doesn't it!

It takes dedication and a certain level of commitment to take "squeaky-clean" armor and DIRTY IT to become a SANDTROOPER! Your presence here demonstrates your willingness to proceed down the path to the "dirt-side".

I'm sure that there are others who feel the same way I do - you can always ask for help here. I was a newbie just like you - everyone was. (I'm still learning - don't know everything!)

HH, pull up some sand and stay awhile. You're home now! IF someone hasn't already...welcome aboard the best **** detachment/website this side of the outer rim terrorities! CHEE HOO!

Guns