Field Pack by Crashmann...

Marcus

You're very welcome!

That is actually the first backpack I have ever built! It went together well, but it is definitely a challenging project. Lots of ingenuity required :unsure:

I hope you enjoy your new pack!

Charlie

Oh yes, your recommendations for the mounting points on the cistern worked perfectly. I chose to do mount the screw through the hamburger stackers and nipple the hard way (you'll have to wait for the video to see the sordid details), but it required a right angle screwdriver going through a small hole in the bottom of the stacker.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the upper screw going into the curvy pipe, I used JB Weld to epoxy a hex nut on the side of the pipe.

Posted Image

You could shake the whole thing and only notice some slight flexing. I do NOT recommend shaking it too vigorously unless you are prepared to re-mount it!

I wish I had time to take detailed pictures of the process, but then I never would have finished (you know how slow I am to process pictures :D )

I did video the entire buildup - 20 hours worth of DVD's :blink:

Now to boil it down to a 10 minute YouTube video... Yeah right, I'll never get around to making that happen!

Charlie

What an awesome Christmas present! Can I have one too, Charlie?

Sure, for One Million Dollars, muwha-ha-ha-ha!

Posted Image

I now understand why Mike refuses to do backpack buildups - it is a huge project, almost as big as assembling stormtrooper armor! To push this out the door, I had to work on it for two weeks straight - in the evenings when I got home from work, and all weekend. My family is very grateful the backpack has moved out of the house, and they can see Daddy again :D

To the folks that have completed one of these kits (or five) I salute you! :salute:

If I were to build another backpack, the labor fee would be very high :blink:

Charlie

If I were to build another backpack, the labor fee would be very high :blink:

Charlie

Understood. I think people grossly underestimate how long it takes to put these together, and how much work they are, even from a kit.

...Again a special thanks and props to Charlie on an incredible effort to get that pack done in time. I consider this a sponsorship adventure and hope to display his work with pride next year at WonderCon and influence others to use his parts exclusively. This has helped me out tremendously due to my time building drag racing transmissions and my customers demanding schedules. You think you guys are bad, racing guys are the most impatient nuts around. Charlie you are the man!