Scratch-Built Backpack - with storage capacity

Voodoo

Here is my backpack. (I haven't weathered it yet.) It is based on an alice-pack frame. I have dyed the kidney-pad black, (which may or may not stay), and replaced the straps with neoprene rifle slings, (Walmart, $7 each). The frame works GREAT!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The boxes are the standard litter boxes used by our local TD's. I hated to see all the space in those boxes go to waste AND I thought it would be easier to store and transport the pack if the components came off, so . . . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hinged the boxes with zip-ties, added earth magnets for clasps and lined the insides.

If I was going to remove components, I wanted it to be fast and easy. The bottom bottle just pops in and out. The "shotgun shells," top bottle and "exhaust port" are all held on by earth magnets that just pull off. The top of the "toolbox" is held on by magnets as well and the face-plate of the radio uses velcro on the corners. This pic is 10 seconds into disassembly.

Posted Image

The faucet-cover, radio, "toolbox" and "ciphon" are all held on by wing-nuts. The entire pack can be stripped of components in less than a minute.

Posted Image

The components then fit into the boxes, with the exception of the faucet cover, which will have to go into my tote if need be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lastly is the radio. This is the radio sold by Nathan Smith of the UK Garrison. It comes assembled. The pull is amazing and he includes details such as the strap rings and plug-ins on the sides and the antenna on the top. As everyone here knows, this is a great piece. I did re-drill all the holes and I replaced the middle of the speaker with a grill from another radio built by the company that built the "Sonix Victory 75." I also added the toggle switches, the extra panels around the speaker and speaker screen.

Posted Image

There it is, in all my OCD glory. Now . . . to add dirt.

Thanks guys. Your approval means a lot.

Scootch . . . that is the biggest compliment you could have given me . . . I think . . . that was a compliment, wasn't it?

Building a pack is not good for an OCD personality. I am already working through ways to improve the design for the next pack. Like I need two.

• 3 weeks later...

Voodoo thats a nice concept!! thanks for sharing bro!!

And one more thing with Nathan's radio is,you can play with the dial :lol: ,also nicely build. although is smaller than most of my pack parts,after i think for a while,i will never sold it B)