LAWS "Stop That Ship" inspired Helmet

Just want to share the pictures of my LAWS Helmet where I've completed the necessary rework to correct its "As Is" original look :

Posted Image

that TD-252 referred to in his earlier DL helmet show off. thread

As a matter of fact I've trooped with this unmodified LAWS Helmet as a WIP Sandtrooper (on November 2nd, 2008) in this pic :

Posted Image

(TI-2558 (James **) sans TIE Pilot costume was helping to put on my full set of weathered TK-TD Armor for this event)

As Rolf have mentioned, the dome has really been assembled too low till it covered part of the eyes :

Posted Image

where I have to use my thumb to lift up the dome to see the details underneath it :P

Finally after much encouragement from TD-252 and the highly informative threads that have been posted in this section, I've corrected its entire appearance to :

Posted Image

more pics to share in my next post. :)

Intially I just wanted to rework and change the appearance of my LAWS Helmet to a regular Sandtrooper Helmet with a horizontal gap between the brow trim and the eyes. This was until I was viewing the HD screen captures from www.looksirdroids.com until the image of this iconic Sandtrooper caught my attention :

Posted Image

It is a good thing that Ghost posted his earlier TD Double Helmet Build, Move Along & Stop That Ship where he built these 2 distinctive Sandtrooper Helmets with his TE2 buckets. Thanks Scott, the info and pics shown together with Rolf's guidance have been of practical help to me in this project. :salute:

Like my previous 501st Legion qualifying costume project (DZ-2870 ANH Tusken Raider :tusken_icon: and TS-2870 Snowtrooper Commander :snowtrooper:), I utilise as much reference I can get hold of one-line via dedicated websites such as www.starwarshelmet.com and this great Sandtrooper costuming forum. This is the printed out references I printed out :

Posted Image

so that I can commence work on my pre-reworked LAWS TD Helmet, shown here after removing the brow trim :

Posted Image

The pic above is grainy as I took it during twilight after the twin suns have set. ;) If you notice the drawn line on the helmet dome, this was where I originally wanted to use an X-Acto knife to cut the part underneath the line. Well, TD-252 talked me out of it. :lol:

The next time thing is to STRIP down my LAWS TD Helmet entirely to the nuts and bolts that Dan have used to put this helmet together :

Posted Image

Three 1/8" X 5/8" screws & bolts are used to put each ear cap on the Helmet and two 1/8" X 2/8" screws & bolts to attach the Face Plat to the End Cap-Helmet Dome. I used a combination of Masking Tape and normal velcro to hold the critical Face Plate and End Cap in my attempts to get the desired look based on my reference pics. Here is an early "I shot myself" test pic to see if I'm moving along in the right direction :

Posted Image

After a few attempts and by the 2nd Sunday, I've got the desired look and fit. This is another selected picture where I've drilled new holes using a 3" drill bit for the new holes to re-attach the Face Plate to the Helmet Dome/End Cap :

Posted Image

Initially I thought I could get the work done without the need to trim off part of the Helmet Dome. However, the desired alignment wasn't there and I noticed that Ghost did something similar with his TE2 to get the look. Hence I masked out the area before I trimmed off the smaller part of the brow trim.

Following the subtle trimming with my X-Acto/Letra set knife :

Posted Image

what I can say is "Yeah! I got it Baby!!!" :):)

After reattaching the Ear Caps, brow trim, foam pieces for inner Helmet support at the right level and flat green lenses, the completed, but unweathered reworked LAWS Stunt Helmet :

Posted Image

The look is 90% from the on-screen look as I wanted to take these CLEAN Helmet pic before I apply the Woodland Scenics weathering to it. Stay tune dirtytroopers as my project isn't fully completed without baptising this Helmet in "desert dust" as a TRUE Sandtrooper would. :td:

Too cool Peter.

Your Dan Laws helmet looks much better now, and are among one of the best i have seen.

GREAT!!! work bro :)

Thanks for your guidance bro that have gavin me the knowledge I need for this project (would have got it done much sooner if not for the demanding investigative nature of my profession). I will take more pictures of it before I dirty it as a good Sandtrooper will. As a matter of fact, these pics are 20% of the detailed pics that I've taken. ;)

P.S. Will be trooping this weekend as a Sandtrooper (sans Backpack and BFG) and going to get my GML to officially make me TD-2870, hence retiring my TK designation. ;)

Wow...great modification job you did Peter.

Must have costed you the necessary drops of sweat on the forehead but the result is whopping!! :duim:

Now I know what to do when I get mine in. Great tutorial btw of how to mod a DL ^_^

Thanks for sharing this bro'!!

:peace:

Thank you for all you kind feedbacks everyone. I've additional good pictures taken of my LAWS TD Helmet before (and after weathering as well). Appreciate your patience as I got some trooping to do in a couple of hours time and tomorrow :)

You have done a fantastic good work bro, vs. how bad it was assembled.

Maybe hand paint the ends of the mouth, for the right STOP THAT SHIP look.

Or if you like to make the Dave M helmet look, where the DL helmet comes from.

You add 15 blue stripes to the right, and 16 left.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And jump to # 2 dot on the right ear cap, for the black stripe.

Plus, add the pointy cuts in the trim of the eyes left, and right:

Posted Image

Jump over the last mouth hole to the left, and then go pointy.

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

Snazzy piece of modding. Well done. Looks much better.

Man... if I could only figure out how to trim ABS I would be done with my helmet already... YIKES...

NoHumorMan - you mean you're making our own Sandtrooper helmet using ABS sheets? That's cool man! :)