Shoulder Straps

Shoulder straps are elastic, not canvas.

Just so i´m sure...

The white shoulder straps, we see between the back, and chest are:

White elastic.

And the belt, around the belly are:

White canvas.

Cheers :)

Ok. They are elastic, not canvas. That means everyone I know who has the canvas straps are wrong. To me it does not matter either elastic or canvas just as long as they are not plastic. The only reason I am upgrading my straps is because one of my plastic straps cracked. If it did not crack I would still be using the plastic TK straps since nobody sees them under the shoulder pauldron anyways.

So I will go back to my original question, how does one attach these soft goods straps?

Also not to cause any problems or issues I would just like to bring up knowing how anal some people can be... that the requirements on the main page need to be updated then. It currently says - No ribbed shoulder straps. (Sandtrooper chest and back are attached from within via soft straps, and do not have the plastic ribbed straps like stormtroopers). So shouldn't this be No ribbed shoulder straps, elastic shoulder straps?

I hope I can find the help I need to attach my new straps. If not I was thinking of riveting them in place where my old plastic TK straps were and then fold them over and glue them on top so you do not see the rivets.

Just so i´m sure...

The white shoulder straps, we see between the back, and chest are:

White elastic.

And the belt, around the belly are:

White canvas.

Cheers :)

I got canvas though ! Oh well, i guess i have to rip some elastic out of my underwear :lol: !!

Not to interrupt this section 3778 ( sorry if so ) but do you guys have any details/info what kind of elastic ?!

Cause like 3778 already said before....(Sandtrooper chest and back are attached from within via soft straps, and do not have the plastic ribbed straps like stormtroopers) !

But most TD's do have the canvas as straps !!

Grtz RAY

Just asking as i like to know the little thingies B) !

You got it mate!

No canvas straps anywhere, only the belt is canvas, all straps are elastic.

Thanks for your well informed trooper knowledge, as all ways bro :) .

No Problem Rolf B)

All armour, wether it is sandtrooper or stormtrooper have the same white elastic holding the chest and back together, the ribbed plastic shoulder straps are just fancy add-ons and not functional. It was a myth started by someone that they were canvas, and everyone (including myself) used canvas, but they are definately elastic.

If you are not bothered about accuracy 3778, I would use snaps on the ends of whatever material you choose to use and glue plastic tabs with snaps fitted, inside the chest and back plates. You can add an extra snap or two along the shoulder strap to allow for some adjustment.

Snaps. That is a good idea. I have not used snaps on any of my armor sets yet. Do they hold? I have always been kind of a fan of permanent attachments.

So the straps do not show on the top of the armor but come from under it. Ok that changes the way I was going to do the straps. I was going to fasten them on the top like the plastic straps.

Thanks for the help. My armor has been tweaked and upgraded over time but unfortunately I will NEVER be MEPD deployed. I tried a few times but I was always shot down for some stupid "Must Haves" such as:

- A big fun gun which I argued not all TD's had BFGs. I use a standard blaster and dewback prode. I do not like BFGs.

- My backpack not being the 'chosen' version. Mine is based off of the "Special Edition" version and Gentle Giant Mini Busts with some mods that I see fit.

- and something I will NEVER change unless someone buys it for me a replacement helmet for my FX helmet. The other helmets are not price friendly. But as long as I am 501st approved and making the people happy I do not care about what helmet I have as long as it looks good.

+ Plus I do not wear all the proper pouches. I do not like the one that goes on the shoulder / neck so I do not use on. Instead I have my holster on my left hip and a pouch on my right. I a dewback rider with attitude, not a clone. :)

Also I was told my armor is TOO DIRTY. I am not anal prone to having screen accurate costumes. I feel if 95% of the audience thinks it is amazing then it is. Anthony Forrest "Move Along..." Sandtrooper has told me that the back packs were slapped together since George did not want just dirty Stormtroopers, he wanted them to be a bit different. None of them are 100% the same. He said the costumes were junk and kept falling apart, he said the armor we have today is so much better. Anyways I degress, I am rambling on when I should not.

Again thanks for all the help on the straps. I will work on this.

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Whoa... this is news to me! Glad I'm searching the forums before I head out to the "Imperial Work Shed" to start making canvas straps! haha...

So, elastic... cool.

Okay, now I just have to find some of my white elastic!

Thanks for the info!! B)

Annnnd I used canvas. :lol:

I just don't have good luck with elastic. And since the canvas looks so good (when you see it under the pauldron and pouch) I thought stick with my plan on do what I know how to do. B)

2" wide white elastic.

Not only is elastic accurate, it gives you more freedom of movement. Canvas does not stretch and limits the amount of movement, thus putting stress on some areas, where elastic will give you the extra movement and reduces the chances of stress fractures in your armour. Elastic is used for all the strapping on the originals.

I used 2" white elastic for my shoulders back in 2006 for those exact reasons TM, I always wondered if I'd end up replacing them with canvas eventually, glad I never did. Thanks!

TM - have any pics of how the shoulders should look?