WoodChuck begins DC-17 project

The WoodChuck

WoodChuck here.

I have begun work on the DC-17 as promised. I chose to begin with the lower front section.

I don't know if it's a power pack, or just a grip, but that seemed the easiest place to start.

I glued up some white pine 2 X 4 stock and then used my band saw to cut the blank to shape.

Stay tuned for further reports as the work progresses.

QUESTION: Should I ask for a list of names now of the troopers that may be interested in getting one of these?

Posted Image

I cut seperate pieces of pine for the front and rear portions of the fore grip.

Posted Image

Then I glued each block into it's exact location on the fore grip.

Posted Image

Now I know how a jeweler must feel cutting diamonds. Sanding the complex angles is not for the faint of heart.

Posted Image

Here is the finished prototype fore grip.

Posted Image

WoodChuck here. Thanks go out to Thorn and his stealth extraction team. I am back in the workshop for a couple of days, then we head to the North country for a couple of months. NO WORRIES!! I have a work shop up there too, so work will continue on this project. I figured the next piece to build would be the front section that the grip mounts to.

This photo shows the interior construction. I used 1/8th inch model ply for the exterior walls.

Posted Image

Here you can see the hole for access to electronics if buyer wants to install them.

Posted Image

Front section with fore grip installed. Next comes the box with the slots....................Stay tuned.

Posted Image

Woodchuck here. I edited my last reply with BIG photos. I am still plugging away on this project. My digital camera seems to have a battery that won't recharge without the charger that I (sez the wife) left at home. I am working on the top part of the front barrel now. I have the pieces cut and glued together, and am taking Will's advice, and using rare earth magnets to hold it in place, as this part has to be removed to mount the accessories. Photos tomorrow, as I just found the charger the wife packed in HER bag. (Don't go there)................LOL

Here are the latest photos. I am building the front barrel. The clear tubing is just a big hose, and is flexible.

Customer installed Blue LED's should lite it up rather nice.

These are the pieces I cut for the base of the barrel.

Posted Image

Pieces glued in place on the base.

Posted Image

Rear view showing pieces in place.

Posted Image

This is the interior view of the front barrel showing the PVC, the bracing, and the rare earth magnets.

Posted Image

This view shows the magnets installed on the base.

Posted Image

Assembled front barrel in correct position. The rare earth magnets do a super job of keeping everything aligned.

Posted Image

I have some greebles to add to the sides and the front, then it's on to the body of the gun itself.

Here is the latest progress: The piece I call the Counter and Clip Section is shown. You can see theopening I left for a customer installed counter and you can also see the REM's for the clip to grap when inserted.

Posted Image

This is another view, showing the construction of this section.

Posted Image

Here I am starting to build up the receiver section of the body.

Posted Image

This view shows how it all looks when joined together.

Posted Image

Hre is a view of the front barrel section with all the greebles and such.

Posted Image

More WIP's to follow, as I am getting to spend more time in the alternative man cave up here in the cold country.

WoodChuck here. This Dc-17 is ready to lock and load!!!!! It's finished, as far as I am concerned, and ready for paint.

Thanks go out to all the troopers that sent me references and answered all the questions I had about this project.

Here are some photos of the finished product.

I wanted a lot of detail, canon as possible, and still have it as my version as well.

I made the muzzle shorter, and removed the slide from the left side as per suggestions from real RC's. LOL

For the LED installation, the clear plastic tube in the front is removablde.

The rear butt stock comes off by removing two screws and the entire length of the gun is hollow.

The top plate with the rear site is held in place by two screws, and can be removed for LED installation underneath.

A plate on the bottom of the receiver in front of the grip is removable for access for a counter installation.

The plastic strip in the clip is removable. Button batteries could be installed inside the clip, but it isn't big enough to hold a regular 9V battery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WoodChuck here. Roger roger. If a customer wants the sniper or AA atachment, I will make them.

$100 each plus shipping.

I am going to start a new thread in the FOR SALE OR TRADE forum to see who wants to purchase these at this time. I have contacted everyone who expressed an interest during this build thread. It seems the econmy still sucks, and I understand if you cannot justify the cost. Thanks for all the positive feedback during the build, as this was a very complex, but fun project.

Chuck