Movie Accurate Radio – WC's Option

WhiteCommandoV2

Well, kudos to those who are tackling this project. And January 2, 2009 was a great day since we were given some killer images! So, I started 3D modeling it on January 2nd. I also believe a combination of rapid prototyped knobs, by a 3D Printer (a ZCorp, or similar) would be good – just waiting for my 3 vendors to get back to me...

Here is the dial I generated in Lightwave 8 (on January 2nd, the day the image was discovered), and I have tweaked and exported as a .dxf format... and removed all non-four-point-polygons.

The face panels were sent off to a Laser-cutter to be made in acrylic yesterday. Please view, though I merely used CS2 Suite to make art for 2D output.

I kept a log of my activity, as to show an active pre-production. More pictures to come.

And for fun, I generated a YouTube of a full 3D model, though it is just to show an end result...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFqU7kgdPjo...re=channel_page

More pics to follow. For some reason, I can't get all the images up. Well, I will just post up what I can. And yes, the 12 divot ring on the base tier will be laser cut, and added... and a cap with 12 divots will be added to the recessed area on the primary dial.

If I decide to produce, this may be a solo project. Mike assisted with the dial screen, but the rest was mine... well, it is really Uncle George's. Mike, if you want, I can draw from scratch and have decals made up.

AND, I may tap a friend for a silicone shell and glass or resin or rubber these suckers. Detail would be crisp – especially since I used "LASERS" for the panel work. A fiberglass radio face may be the way to go. Chime in.

Thanks Stukatrooper, Mike, and John... for all the info and research!!!

Thoughts?

John

Looking good bro.

I can´t wait, to see more.

Its too cool to see, so many makers trying to push the level up.

For us all being as movie accurate, as we can.

When it comes to radio boxes, pauldrons, weapons, armor/parts, pouches, packs etc...

A full TD is a hard suit, to make accurate.

But thats also the fun part, about it.

Trying to be accurate, all the way.

Thanks for the look, so far John :) .

Thanks guys. I am still waiting for a quote for the dials. Drawing them was a tiny challenge... you would be surprised.

However, a new topic... a buddy of mine sent me an idea. He thought it might be cool to have an array of lights in the left top part, with the screen MH drew up, then have 4 pieces of laser-cut acrylic in 1/32" thickness to overlay on top of the dial – four corners, like a black widow mark... Two in transparent and two in smoked transparent charcoal, and have the four "quarters" on top of the decal. The decal could easily be printed merely on Photo-paper, and then back light with an array of lights... would just need someone to rig a sequencer to simulate a "Radar" or scanning effect.

I will try to draw .gif animation showing the effects.

I am getting the "panels" for the face by Monday of next week.

And then I have to figure the best way to replicate.

Thanks A Lot... This is a super fun project.

John

The Primary Dial has been printed.

Pics in next post.

It was made with tolerances of .001" inch, I believe the process basically involves wafers of laser-cut laminated ABS which is extruded, re-lasered, heated, and cooled, and should have great detail. Minor sanding and filling... to make perfect.

The square and rectangle panels are being CNC'd at a shop in Dallas, and will be ready Monday, and I will pick them up in person. The dial will arrive Wednesday. Then I send off for replication.

Soon...

Thanks for the support Brothers!

John

awesome keep up the good work!can't wait to see how these turn out!i just added sound to mine!

I concur. Resin, or resin, then some filler putty. Just sand smooth after it sets up, get one of those single-direction ******* files (yes, they are called that)... the jeweler type, with the small triangular cross-section, and smooth a couple of spots in the ridges... sand the face, and it should be close to perfect.

Oh, and this is only for Mike and I. Sorry guys!

:lol:

KIDDING!!!

I think that inner ring needs to be filled in, I may just pour some resin in it. It would also create difficulty in the mold.

Regardless, that is excellent!!!!

A pony keg in place of the "cistern" would be cool. I will have to figure up a mod kit for the Heineken to be installed there. Just add rings, attach, and have the spout run down the sleeve.

But seriously, come by my house on Spring Break... I should have one assembled up. I am working on a actuated radar simulator, that spins slowly, to put behind Mike's Decal.

We should have something very soon! Thanks for the PM brother!

John

Ah, well... I've been going to school in New York, and I'm currently still here until May. Otherwise I'd love to see that radio and grab a brew!

Want to troop at AllCon? My TD is nearing perfection (for me). TE2, as finished by MH. TD-252 orange Paudron AND Seth White Pauldron. New Caboots. Finalized T-21 and DLT-19. I will finish my V2 Backpack in 48 hours! New, more accurate pauldron ammo pouch.

One more light layer of Fuller's Earth.

Bingo!!!

LMK by e-mail... john.sale@me.com

John

Spring break is definitely an option, I'm going to try to be home for AllCon (and my grandmother's 84th birthday). :blink: