Weathering or Camouflage

Nemo

It has always been my oppinion that thet sandtroopers wasn't dirty because they didn't have time to clean up, but because they choose to. A pearly white armor is to easaly spotted in a dessert terain, and in some scenes the dirt looks more like put on by hand. Only mud would stick to a armor, in big spots that many of the troopers have and Tatooine is pure dessert.

Have a look at the two troopers to the right, their patterns look more like deliberate smudgeing, like a real life soldier would do to camouflage himself.

post-2303-1228644004_thumb.jpg

Ideas??

Crawling into the shadow preparring to be roasted :blink:

Ah well that scene is from the SE version and not the original and I think they really

got sloppy there (not only the weathering).

If it were camo it's useless - they should have covered their armor all over.

But I agree it doesn't really look like desert dirt and dust especially in that particular

scene.

This is from the "Do Sandtroopers Really Exist?" thread over on the FISD but it's very fitting to this topic so I'm copying it over here too...

Also, there is more than one kind of sand. It's not all fine grains of pulverized rock. Some is very fine, very cohesive dust, and loves to stick to anything. Every reason to think a desert planet like Tatooine has different sands in different locales. All the way from that fine, cakey dust up to windscoured boulders.

Also, upon watching the rest of the first act again, the Empire seems a long way from Tatooine. The dialogue all indicates that the Empire has no presence on or near that planet. Han is surprised to see the Star Destroyers. Stuff like that.

--Jonah

I said...

============

Yes, very very true.

Just like in the Star Trek universe the Ferengi planet Ferenginar is a "rain" planet and so they have 178 different words for rain. Rain that's hard and light, but then everything in between... so why wouldn't a planet that's all sand have all sorts names for every variation of sand.

Yep... great thoughts!

Doesnt it seem like they have drop boxes as well?

Jep they do have the drop boxes, but as madphisto.net has so nicely said these pic are from the SE version, I actually didn't notice until he said it, I got the pictures from "Looksirdroids" so I naturally thougt they would be of "true" sandies, and I only used this picture to point out my idea of the dirt being camo instead of just dirt.

madphisto.net I dont agree with you that it's useless, and they have covered there hole armor, look at theese pic, it would be **** near impossible to get this dirty unless it's done deliberate, I've been to egypt a few times never have i seen dirt stick to something like this, and once again I know this is a dangerous topic, But tatooine is controlled by the Hutt's, and the empire has no presence there. therefore the sandies in ANH must come straight from Vaders cruiser, (better equiped, but still straight from Vader) and therefor wouldn't have been long time enough in the dessert to become that dirty, and all the troopers look like this even the once in Mos Eisly city.

Doesn't make any sence to me if this isn't some sort of camo.

post-2303-1228715169_thumb.jpg

post-2303-1228715227_thumb.jpg

post-2303-1228715252_thumb.jpg

I agree that the "dirt" is too much to be of just that one trip to Tatooine but then again

those outfitters on set obviously went for the look rather than logics.

As for camo purposes I still think it's useless that way - the white still sticks out and why

should imperials camouflage themselves on a mission like that and why even do it when

they're still as visible as before - why even use fancy orange pauldron colors visible from

quite afar? Imagine the desert rats or dak would have used such gear troops would have

suffered even more losses. Would any military use white uniforms if camo would be an

issue - except in white environments of course?

Somewhere I said something about the image and doctrine of the imperial military and its

appearance as an overall dominant power. Looking how the empire affords a quite

ceremonial and self-confident look throughout the forces I think it's an intended

representation similar to uniforms from ancient times to industrial age - standing out blazing.

The subliminal meassage is: Imperials don't have to hide or camouflage!

Which is the essential difference between rebel and imperial military.

Rebel military:

usually outnumbered, limited in resources, high value and respect for life, dependent on

guerilla warfare and hit and fade tatics most of the time

Imperial military:

vast military apparatus, numerous contingents of men (in majority "faceless") and material,

no respect or value for life (expendable canonfodder)

EU is secondary to me and often contradicts the original patterns of the movies.

So in that context I claim that the film team just didn't pay too much attention to real life effects

of being exposed to desert environment.

Remember a movie - especially such a space fairytale - is making use of exaggeration to point

out stuff and to achieve a composition rich in contrasts. The higher the contrast the better the

impression to the audience.

Those weary Stomtroopers there just looked cool and underlined the message that Tatooine is

the **** end of nowhere.

hey nemo

aside from the weathering and camo,its about the empire on tattoine,i liked MHenry's theory a lot on other thread,brother Nol would agreed too,i quote

There is a small garrison of desert equipt Stormtroopers assigned to Tantooine (MEPD). They along with a local unarmored police/militia keep the peace. Vader sends a large number of orbiting Stormtroopers (fleet Marines) down to dramatically assist in the search for those pesky droids. Including one...Davin Felth. These troopers are dressed for desert service.

so maybe there are several that are dirtier than those vader sent,and remember....tattoine had a VERY VERY NASTY and VERY FREQUENT SANDSTORM :blink: and it almost mentioned on tattoine dialogs. thats why i believe,the 'sandtrooper' is better equiped to withstand this condition and not wasting any precious time waiting the sandstorm to pass,after that.......you got a decent sandtrooper weathering :lol:

i believe too that there are many different types of sand on tattoine...........of course,its a planet,heres a good example.....the 'earth'

nemo,have you tried photobucket or similar? then copy the direct link paste it on the 'insert image' button on the post controls above....VOILA a decent pics

you're using attachments right now,and it is very limited on pixel rate

cherrio :)

Weathering will always be an issue, especially the why are they weathered part and the colours used.

My guess it that it never was intended as camouflage of some sort, but really due to exposure to the harsh environment of Tattooine, hence that some troopers are more heavily weathered than others.

Ok guys, I give up. B) I knew when I started this thread that I was going to get a fair beating :)

You might be right about the weathering and you proberly are. Just as a former Danish Marine sgt,

the weatering looks more to me as my recruits trying to camo themselves :D

And Dutchy thx about the hint about the pictures.

Can't wait to see my armor and put it on.

I saw a large number of manta's when diving near a reaf today, it was so cool. Just love Sharm el Sheik.

But a bit strange celebrating christmas down here. B)

Ok guys, I give up. B) I knew when I started this thread that I was going to get a fair beating :)

You might be right about the weathering and you proberly are. Just as a former Danish Marine sgt,

the weatering looks more to me as my recruits trying to camo themselves :D

And Dutchy thx about the hint about the pictures.

Can't wait to see my armor and put it on.

I saw a large number of manta's when diving near a reaf today, it was so cool. Just love Sharm el Sheik.

But a bit strange celebrating christmas down here. B)

Just as long as you get your christmas goodies it shouldn't matter.... B)

Yeah, if you've ever been around the red dirt in West Texas then you know there are some dirts (even here on Earth) that don't take but 1/2 a second to completely ruin what you're wearing. I can't imagine a whole planet of sand dunes and dirt not having about 100 other types that do even worse... especially on the armor the Empire uses, which we really don't have any stats on either. It might have attracted it! :)