Main Boxes

TD-9914

Hey all!

I am building yet another TD Backpack, despite the success in trooping with my year-old semi-functional pack. Big thing I want to change is the main boxes. I've been using two walmart flip boxes that allow for storage and seal them with slide lock buckles, but they are too thin when compared to screen shots.

Where are these original seed boxes I've heard so much about? What is the best equivilant so that I may locally procure them and do a vis-mod to make them screen accurate?

Once that is done, I will slap on what has worked with the other pack. The big thing I am maintaining, albiet not 100% screen accurate is the modular, take a part design. I plan on attaching hinges to this to make it open and store components. It is amazing what you can do with slide lock buckles :)

I've heard about cat litter boxes, reproduced styrene, but there has to be something a bit more sturdy that I can grab at walmart. So far, I am leaning toward modified cat litter boxes.

Input?

Hey all!

I am building yet another TD Backpack, despite the success in trooping with my year-old semi-functional pack. Big thing I want to change is the main boxes. I've been using two walmart flip boxes that allow for storage and seal them with slide lock buckles, but they are too thin when compared to screen shots.

Where are these original seed boxes I've heard so much about? What is the best equivilant so that I may locally procure them and do a vis-mod to make them screen accurate?

Once that is done, I will slap on what has worked with the other pack. The big thing I am maintaining, albiet not 100% screen accurate is the modular, take a part design. I plan on attaching hinges to this to make it open and store components. It is amazing what you can do with slide lock buckles :)

I've heard about cat litter boxes, reproduced styrene, but there has to be something a bit more sturdy that I can grab at walmart. So far, I am leaning toward modified cat litter boxes.

Input?

My current pack, while not quite correct is made with cat litter boxes from Wally World. Mine would be close if I had stacked them two deep like the movies...Mine is just one box. I am in the process of redoing my pack, just ordered my Boy scout pack frame, and am trying to decide if I can afford to go the MEPD back pack route or not. Hopeing to, but money is a bit tight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want sturdy, I used 9x13 mirro aluminum cake pans, the kind with lids. Take the lids off and use them for cookie sheets or something. The pans are lightweight but very strong. They have no handles, just smooth rolled-over edges.

You can screw them together, screw hinges to them, or whatever you want. I just drilled holes in mine and connected them together and to the pack frame with zip ties. I drilled other holes through them and connected all the other parts to them. My pack is holding up very well so far.

They are available in hardware stores for some reason, about $10 each, but also available in packs of 4 online: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(lf5ipai2....aspx?SKU=62206

You'll need 4 anyway. Amazon also sells them in 4 packs for under $40.

That's one option, if you want to use store-bought parts. If you want movie accuracy, there are vacu-formed boxes available from people here at the MEPD.

There's one photo of my weathered pack here: http://tk5122.com

and several photos before weathering (more angles so you can see the boxes) here: http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/jo...useum_Feb_2008/

Cooking pans, huh? Good idea.

Since I still wanted a functional pack, I am going to use some modified cabinet magnets screwed in with hinges to allow each box to open and close and store all components inside. In my curret configuration I can fit my entire TD armor kit AND pack inside my Stanly brand tool kit/wheeled tough bin that you find at home depot...

That's part of the project. Getting it all to fit while maintaining screen accuracy. My current pack disassembles completely so I have to get this new one to do the same. I will keep you all updated but I am very greatful for the feedback you all are giving me. I hope to have this ready for the Clone Wars premiere.

We're doing a double feature Clone Wars and A New Hope at a Drive in :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Scootch,

How did those plant trays work out? Do you recommend them?

Thanks

JTG

Do not get them. I got them and I am sending them back. They are too small. I found that the lips on these boxes is more than an inch on each side which they have included in calculating the box dimensions. The real width of the box is more like 10 1/2". Its just too small. Do NOT get these.

Anybody know another source for accurate seed boxes that are the correct size?

Do not get them. I got them and I am sending them back. They are too small. I found that the lips on these boxes is more than an inch on each side which they have included in calculating the box dimensions. The real width of the box is more like 10 1/2". Its just too small. Do NOT get these.

Anybody know another source for accurate seed boxes that are the correct size?

I looked round every hardware store in my local area and there were no seed trays the right shape and size. I settled for some small size "Jolleys Pets Store" cat litter trays the first time. However I am currently making a new one from Large size “Jolleys Pets Store" cat litter trays ,because the small ones were indeed a bit on the small side.

Luke :)