ABS Glue Help

So I semi-recently bought a complete set of TM armor but unfortunately the thighs are just a bit too small. Does anyone know how, or if you can, seperate the glue from the strip on the back of the thigh so I can let it out a little. I don't need much more room, just a little, which is the frustrating part.

Is there a solvent that can be used or could I possibly lightly heat around the glue to get it tacky and maybe slice it to let it out? I'd hate to warp the thigh with too much heat.

Any suggestions or experience is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Matt

Hi Matt,

If it was a suit I assembled, then I use E6000 which can be pulled apart. I have had to recently take a pair of thighs apart to make bigger and I started off using a razor blade between the thigh and strip to get me started, then just pulled carefully using the blade occasionally to help. It was quite easy to do and any remaining E6000 comes off without any grief.

I cannot comment on any other glues. I hope all goes well!

-Paul

I work in the energy sector and we also have the transport of water and gas in our package. So I used the toughest glue out there they use to connect pipes with a diameter up to 315mm and must withstand a pressure of 8 bar/ atm or more...which means that my armor is glued solid..I don't know if it's sold worldwide under the same name but this is it.

Posted Image

glue along...glue along..

My experience so far is that ABS cements seem to work best on ABS and E6000 seemed to work best on HIPS. True, this is pretty limited in the suits I've worked on.

Is anyone using E6000 on ABS?

My experience so far is that ABS cements seem to work best on ABS and E6000 seemed to work best on HIPS. True, this is pretty limited in the suits I've worked on.

Is anyone using E6000 on ABS?

I have only used the E6000 on my TM and TE2 suit, made out of HIPS.

I used ABS cement, on my old FX made out of ABS.

I was very toxic and smell really bad, but it made the suit solid.

Maybe the ABS cement will damage/heat up-toxic the hips plastic.

The think i like about the E6000, is that its very rubber like.

But still very strong, and solid.

Very good for trooping

When using E-6000 how much do you apply to each piece before sticking them together.

I know some glues do better when minimally applied, and others do best in liberal amounts.

Thanks.

I use E6000 on ABS and it works just as well as on HIPS. When applying the glue, I run a thin bead along both edges of the parts and wait a few minutes until it's touch dry. Then I fix both parts together and press down hard. I use clamps and tape to hold the parts together and leave them alone for 24 hours.

The ABS cement I bought is poly-weld and it's a solvent which melts the ABS together. I found it awkward to use so I went back to the trusty old E6000

...I used the toughest glue out there they use to connect pipes with a diameter up to 315mm and must withstand a pressure of 8 bar/ atm or more...which means that my armor is glued solid..

WOW! 8bar per atmoshpere! That's some tough glue! Glad I don't have that on my armor.

As it turns out my TM armor was made by the man himself so I will hopefully be cutting through that E6000 soon as I get a schedule break.

Thanks again to Troopermaster for all the help via PMs, and everyone else. You guys rock!

Oh yeah, GO REDWINGS!!

-Matt