A Serious Question

freakengine

Over the years I've been none too kind to those who didn't quite fit the physical type of their costume choice. You know the ones I mean - the 6' tall Jawas, the super-skinny Vaders, and the ...well, you get the picture. I talk a lot about how a person needs to consider his/her own physicality when choosing a costume. Which brings me to my point. At 6'-3" tall, am I just too tall to be a convincing trooper?

Here's a bit of evidence if it would please the court - pics from our visit to the Shriner's Children's hospital just prior to C4.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guess which one I am?

This all started when I found this site in the midst of deciding on which costume I'd like to wear. I fell in love with the sandy look and threw myself into it with my FX kit. But then, as often seems to happen to sandtroopers, I was bitten by the accuracy bug. I am now the proud owner of a TM helmet (pictured) but I can't quite accept that I'll never look good in accurate armor. I just have to ask: am I too freakin' big to wear the suit?

Honestly, I'm not looking for one response or the other. I want honest opinions. If I need to chuck it all and start on a Vader, I will, but **** I like being a sandtrooper. Any thoughts?

I agree that it depends on the height of the people you troop with, however if your vader is 6'2" then i would say its too tall. I LOVE the sandy, it is a beaut, but i think the pictures speak for themselves that you are much taller than the "average" sandtrooper as they are generally between 5'10" and 6'. Have you considered doing a Vader? Please don't take offense to this and definitely troop in whatever you want. Just an observation.

Have fun with being tall. Last your at a local con's droid hunt, I was on a team and the requirement to be on it was you had be a 6 foot+ TK/TD. We maxed out the team and the tallest TK at 6'7" was on another team.

I anyone ever comments about you being a tall trooper, just tell them your from a low gravity world.

At the end of the day, what does hight matter, it's your hobbie and something you love to do as a sandtrooper!

I say keep it, and live out your child hood dreams!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the votes of confidence. I'm just bemoaning the fact that I can't wear more accurate armor I guess. With all the talk putting FX down all the time, it kinda gets to me. Don't get me wrong, I see all the faults in FX just like everyone else, but I don't see many options. I've been looking into RT-Mod armor. Have any of you tall guys tried it?

I'm keeping the sandy for now (along with my Tusken, Nihilus, and Sharad Hett) and will continue to work on upgrading. I'm also going to seriously consider working on a Vader in the future, as that's what I'm really size appropriate for. Now where did I put that roll of cash?

i know the feeling bud im looking at all the makers atm and it looks like im going to be stuck with fx and buy parts here and there to get the rite look.

i would love to be able to wear the te2 or ap but i dont think it will look rite on me .... so ill just start with the fx and build from there at least ill be able to go with the te2 bucket , and with all the info you vets have posted thru trial and error it will make it easier for those of us that continue to come after .

my main concern is that im the type thats never happy with good enuff lol ill end up striving for the perfect anh look .

i noticed from another thread that 1 of you is modeling his armor from 1

td in the move along scene i like the sound of that and think im going to

follow the same path when i get started i just have to wait and see how

much longer the insurance company is going to make me wait for my

knee surgery lol been over a year now .... but thats ok if i didnt have all

this free time i would have never found the mepd

for all of you here at the MEPD

I think some "Elitists" loose sight of the whole purpose for belonging to this group, fun. I can't believe some have talked about not allowing the FX owners membership. I have yet to have a child approach me and say that armor isn't exactly like the movie. Fact is, they can't tell. If we want to invest in the more accurate armor fine, but keep your mind atuned to the true purpose and don't be getting all high and mighty. It would be nice to be able to be exactly like the movie, but the fact is not everyone has the money, time, or ability to do it.

Lets not create a "Buzz kill" for those like me who are of necessity going with the FX.

I think your suit looks awesome bro and you should go with it!!!We need you taller guys for crowd control for us shorter guys.It really comes down to you and what you like but i see no reason to worry you look good and being TD well that just makes it even better!!

I agree with what's already been said. Your armor looks excellent as is. The first time I ever came across some of the 501st guys, there were a handful that were taller than me, and I'm 6'0". I think the taller troopers look more intimidating myself. Of course, it would look funny if they had a 5'6" Vader, but he was either as tall, or a bit taller than them. Last thing I paid attention to that day was the accuracy of either helmets or armor. I just wanted in.

at least you will never hear the dreaded "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" comment

You still will, trust me.

The one I ALWAYS hear is "Why are you so dirty?"

Thanks, everyone. I'm remaining sandy for the present. Sometimes you just need a reality check, you know?

Peace.