Rubies to release official licensed Armor

BingoBongo_275

Rubies sent me some more info this afternoon on their new "Supreme Stormtrooper Costume" so I've updated my site with details.

There's only a single photo but it looks like theyve used a Don Post Fiberglass Deluxe helmet for the photoshoot (so is likely to change), although the RotJ armour does look impressive.

I've "adjusted" the original photo to remove the black area around the neck to give a better look. I dont think the model was wearing it correctly!

Posted Image

Here's a close up of the chest/abs

Posted Image

Its likely to retail around the $850 mark and could have interesting repercussions for the hobby. More on my site on the Rubies page

Cheers

Jez

Seems most people on FISD & 501st boards are taking a wait and see approach. This is really only a valid set up if you want to do an ROTJ. Will this even be 501st acceptable? Hard to say.

More critically, what does it mean for our hobby armor makers?

It's hard to draw any real conclusions from a single pic when we all know how likely this is to change. I would imagine that licensed armor means trouble for public non-licensed makers (ebay sellers and the like), but I'd think LFL will continue to leave the underground sellers alone. MR's helmet line didn't put any heat on the underground sellers did it? (I'm asking...I never heard of any legal threats)

No, actually it made it flourish. It wasn't long before recasted copies started coming out of Argentina (IIRC). And also, the price took a big fall down to $200, more in line with non-licensed vendors.

I agree that I would like to see a set in person. One of Rubies biggest problems (in my opinion) is their use of thin/cheap materials. They could produce a great accurate piece of armor (highly unlikely), but it would all be for moot if you have to super reinforce the thing with fiberglass just to make it wearable.

And I don't foresee fanmade armor going away anytime soon. LFL has been very understanding with all of us as long as we aren't profiteering on them and just using them to further our hobby...........but that's just my two cents for what it's worth...........