How much is "enough"?

MacFett

I've submitted for my 501st TD designation. Now the next step is my MEPD deployment.

I've made all the physical mods to go TD. But, I'm wondering; how much weathering is needed?

My armor up close is plenty dirty. However, when I try to get photos of it, it doesn't look as dirty as it really is. So, should I add more weathering?

I'll attach a pic and let you guys be the judge.

Posted Image

I like the less is more theory.

Thanks for looking.

Feedback always welcome.

PS. ignore all the junk and shoes on the floor.

Less is definitely more. While it's hard to tell in that picture, I usually recommend 'final' pics be taken in good day light, either at dawn or dusk to get nice long shadows and avoid bright, direct sunlight.

Keeping the "less is more" philosophy in mind, you'll want to also aim for nice, stark contrast in some areas.

Less is definitely more. While it's hard to tell in that picture, I usually recommend 'final' pics be taken in good day light, either at dawn or dusk to get nice long shadows and avoid bright, direct sunlight.

Keeping the "less is more" philosophy in mind, you'll want to also aim for nice, stark contrast in some areas.

I took some in direct sunlight and it "washed out" even more. I think I'll add some in certain spots to get that contrast.

I'll try the dawn / dusk photos as well.

Thanks guys.

It looks good, but I'll add this:

your armor will naturally start picking up black scuffs and scratches, so maybe adding a bit more browns will do the trick. (since it won't naturally pick up more brown weathering on its own)

I do like a hint of black scuffing - it adds the right 'zing', and shows some wear and tear.

I felt the same way about my helmet. I first used some black pastel and dusted it on, then added some burnt umber oil paint that was watered down in turpentine. It looked good, but pretty faint in good light.

I was really reluctant to add more, but after looking at some of the work on this site, I decided to go for it and get muddy. I went to Michael's Arts & Crafts store to look for Fuller's Earth, but they didn't have it. On a whim, I decided to try an acrylic paint called DELTA CERAMCOAT. They had a color called "Trail Tan", so I figured that'd be a good place to start. It washes off with water and soap, so that helped.

Anyway, this is how it turned out...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used the same technique (sponging it on, then wiping it off) and was really happy with the results.

Just food for thought. Here's a link to what my original helmet looked like by the way...

http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3346

And here's a link to Michael's Crafts and the paint I used. Best part, it only cost about $2.40 for the bottle.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/disp ... channelid=

...now if I could only get my hands on some brow trim.

It seems like all the mud stuck at the blue stripes? =) I would perhaps have gone for a bit more weathering. Remember, just as it is with vacuum cleaning, all the dirt is located where the cracks and corners are! Try to think of that when you are weathering. It is totally up for you if you will go any further with the weathering, but i know i would! As long as you are happy with the look, and the armor is dirty, everything is ok!