How old?

RetzFett

I just turned 33 TODAY! My son loves to tell his friends his dad is a Sandtrooper! You must remember that the majority of Star Wars fans today are not just the kids, but the ones who were young when the classic (real) series came out. Many of the photos I take with fans are the "older" ones who appreciate the work we put into our passion. It is now our job to extend that to a new generation...

P.S. I did have one woman ask me if I was trying to relive my childhood and/or handle a mid-life crisis. I expalned to her that our "hobby" also benefits the kids and that I don't wear this stuff around my house on my free time... or maybe just once... or twice.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd use my first post to answer this question and introduce myself as well.

I'm 36 and recently (within the last year) became a costuming nut. A friend of mine showed me the Troops movie short and I remembered how much I wanted to be a stormtrooper as a kid. Within a week or so I had an FX kit on order.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of the recent trilogy - or ROTJ, for that matter - but I saw the first movie when it came out and the enthusiasm and the sense of escape it gave me as a kid is still with me.

I'm not a member of the 501st, but would join if the invite was extended. I have taken and given costuming advice on the Midwest Garrison's forum and plan on trooping with them when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I live in the city (Chicago) and they're all out in the burbs. *sigh*

My girlfriend and I went out last Halloween (I wore the FX kit and she had an improvised Imp. officer costume) and we caused quite a stir. We got more than a few free drinks and were constantly attracting crowds. Which reminds me, if you drink and troop DEFINITELY install a codpiece drawbridge.

I currently have a FX kit (clean), a GF helmet (clean), an RT-Mod helmet (it was cheap and had Hovi mic tips), a black pauldron, resin E-11 and resin Lewis gun, a set of MP40/38 pouches and misc hardware (static board, speaker, mic etc).

I have a full GF kit on it's way which is what I plan to convert to a sandtrooper. This is definitely a very compulsive hobby for me, but I am REALLY enjoying myself. It's a hobby that has all the qualities a good hobby should: crafting skills, collecting, and plenty of outdoor activity...plus other people really get a kick out of it.

So to finally get back to your question, you're only too old if you allow yourself to be. I think trooping actually slows down the aging process but that's just my theory.

Sorry for the long winded post, just thought I'd say hi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

29 here. I've been in the 501st for 3 years now, but just recently converted my armor to Sandy.

I can't remember the first time I saw Star Wars, and have lost count of how many times it has been since then. I DO remember seeing Empire at a drive in and Jedi in the theatre.

My nephew (who is three) gets excitied everytime he sees a stormtrooper, asking his father "is that uncle J.J.?" That is the most awesome thing to me.

I'm 34. Watched them first time round. Loved them. Played with the toys when growing up (running around the house with the Millenium Falcon screaming ROAAARRR - No real electronic sound effects then!), kept them, now my daughters are playing with them (all the collectors are now in shock ). My daughter loves telling people her daddy is a sandtrooper...

Greetings all,

Just kicking back and taking a moment to reflect on all the blessings - celebrated my 49th birthday this past Saturday! Matter o fact, I'm gonna celebrate ALL MONTH!

It appears that I'm the most "senior" active sandtrooper on this board as of late! I guess I could change my call-sign to "pop-guns"??? Nah! My best to all the sandies out there! Take care of each other. Aloha.

Guns

ePS: Just don't call me "gramps"!

Guns you got me beat! Here I am still wet behind the ears at a ripe 40.

Still remember seeing the classic trilogy in the theaters when they were first released. Used to also have the ''Darth Vadar Lives'' t-shirt - and yes that's how it was spelled. Who can also forget Hasbro's lame at the time, voucher-style action figure release two years after ANH?

Now over 25 years later, instead of riding a hog (though that may happen too someday), I turn sandy to stem my early midlife crisis