First weathering attempt - feedback welcome!

pauloz

Evening all,

Would be greatfull if you would give your opinions on my first attempt at weathering my AP lid. More/less/different colour needed? All feedback welcome!

Used acrylics from my art box being a part time artist - thought i may as well use what i had. Colours used; pale umber, burnt umber, raw umber, paynes grey and mixes in between. Using only umbers for the browns i was thinking it keys the colours in together rather than looking like several different browns.....

Also - does anyone have a source for a radio for the backpak? Thanks in advance!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Evening all,

Would be greatfull if you would give your opinions on my first attempt at weathering my AP lid. More/less/different colour needed? All feedback welcome!

Used acrylics from my art box being a part time artist - thought i may as well use what i had. Colours used; pale umber, burnt umber, raw umber, paynes grey and mixes in between. Using only umbers for the browns i was thinking it keys the colours in together rather than looking like several different browns.....

Also - does anyone have a source for a radio for the backpak? Thanks in advance!!

I built mine

Looks fine to me. As long as YOU'RE happy with it.

Yeah - i think so, looking at pics of original helmets. Only prob is getting the armour to match now as the lid was sprayed white and roughish texture comparitively, whereas the rest was moulded white and a lot smoother. Might go and kick it round the garden for a bit to start off

• 2 weeks later...

Looking excellent so far trooper!

Could you please post a small write-up describing how your applying your weathering effects? I'm also using acrylic paints to weather my rig but finding it to be a little harder than I had anticipated, kinda hard to follow the tempera tutorials when your working with completely different paint.

Looking excellent so far trooper!

Could you please post a small write-up describing how your applying your weathering effects? I'm also using acrylic paints to weather my rig but finding it to be a little harder than I had anticipated, kinda hard to follow the tempera tutorials when your working with completely different paint.

Well.... Ive kinda cleaned it off and started over. I wasnt happy with it close up, even tho it looked ok from a distance. The chest plate above was done with a trigger spray bottle and really watery acylic. Prob was, its difficult to get the water/paint proportions right so i didnt get big blobs.

The helmet i found was easy - but thats because it had a poor finish to start with, so applying acylic witha cloth, leaving for a minute then wiping off anything that hadnt dried, wored a treat.

Now ive changed approach completely! Using 5 different coloured car body paints, spraying from a 50cm at least very sparsely, then rubbing most of it off immediately. Having much more luck i think. then im adding random marks using the acylic mixed to match the spray and add texture, applying using fingers, leaving for a minute then rubbing most off - blends the colours in too like this. Managed to get it looking more dusty that before closeup;

Posted Image

Thanks for the tips. Shame you cleaned it off, I thought the acrylics looked really good!

I think the main problem I'm having is that the acrylics are drying faster than I can blot/wipe it off (funny that I never had this problem when I weathered my Clone). Still trying to nail down the perfect combination of paint colours as well, making paint look like sand is tricky.

NOOOOOO you cleaned it off??? You used car spray paints? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOO!

It looked ace before, just the right level of sand and crustiness!!! :( Do it again!!!!

it wasnt as good close up. I'm still not happy tho aye...... WIP.

Didnt look dusty and the blobs were too big to be sand. Got some really cool sand effects with the sprays, and added acrylic to add depth, but the most difficult bit is getting each part to look similar, bloody paints seem to behave differently every piece i do.

Helmet is still as it was, i'm really happy with that.

Nice site by the way - found it really usefull

Hey Paul!

If your having trouble with paints, have you ever thought of actually using sand??

hears my armour, I used play sand from argos and mixed in a little bit of burnt umber to make it a little darker

Posted Image

very easy to do, put 2 cups of sand in a bowl, add a small amount of water ( about half a glass ) and a small amount of the burnt umber, then mix it all together!

spray your armour lightly with hairspray first then grab handfulls of the sand and slap it all over, some will stick some won't!

once your happy with it seal it with more hairspray!!

Well..... looks ok...... and could spend more time getting the chest plate to match the ab plate, but reckon i might give the sand idea a go.

Will prob finish my backpack first though so i can get UKG clearance, then re-spray the suit white and start over! Its all good experience eh!

Am going to get the sand a try, maybe also adding some greyish road muck powder stuff ive just collected off my push bike from winter training on lovely UK roads!

Posted Image

If your having trouble with paints, have you ever thought of actually using sand??

I did mine almost that same way. I found brush-on paint at the craft store in several colors that has real sand already in it. I just blobbed it all over, waited a bit, then wiped it off with a damp rag.

Hey Motman, what was the name of the sand/paint? don't think I've seen anything like that over here??( not that I've seen )

only thing close to that we have , is a textured spray paint!

it's good to hear all the diffrent way to weather our armour, before going for the sand option, I did mine five time, as I just couldn't get the paint to do what I wanted it to!!

would like to see a pic of the end result if you have one?

No worries Leigh! Hoping to get it all dun and dusted (sorry... ) for MEM in March!

Better get a move on mate! the sign up for mem is up now, and I hear it's being limited to 30 costumers?

so get cracking my fellow sandie

You never know mate, if you have the time to get stuck in to the backpack build you could make it

where about are you from? as there may be a local trooper near you that could help with the build??

You never know mate, if you have the time to get stuck in to the backpack build you could make it

where about are you from? as there may be a local trooper near you that could help with the build??

Leamington spa bud. I met ya last summer at Warwick craft fair!

Frame is the only thing i'm not decided on. Either gonna make my own from piping.... or not have one at all and hinge the 2 main boxes for easier storage.....?

Got a radio coming from Mr Danter, got the hardish to find bits sorted, parfait cups, radar dish and toilet siphon, and seed trays exactly the right size i believe.

But I shouldnt rush it..... and only just calmed the mrs down from wreaking the kitchen for 2 weeks weathering! Bit of a prob living in a modern 2nd floor flat and open plan kitchen/living room as the only useable space!

I have a mind like a sive ( bad spelling ) you were there with Kessa?

If I were you I would go for the pvc pipe frame, lighter and cheaper, as I don't think you'll get cleared without it on the backpack? plus it comes in handy for attaching the backpack straps!

good place for a tutorial is "the dirty trooper" our very own deployment officer, these a link to his site in his signiture!

yeah I know what you mean about the mess, I took over the kitchen for a few weeks, paints sand brushes and everything else you can imagine all over the place!

if you need any advise, or just need a second opinion, just give me a shout mate, and I will be only to glad to help!!