Sanding the armour, necessary?

Darth-Tuapawa

Is sanding the gloss off of the armour a necessary or desirable prelude to topical weathering? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the major tutorials but I know a couple of people who have taken the edge off of the gloss before applying paint with great results. Not too keen on taking sandpaper to the armour if I don't have to though

What's the general consensus troops?

And if you don't sand it you could always *shudder* clean the dirt off if you decided to do so. I don't know WHY you'd make such a choice, but it takes all kinds. I like to think of it as making it possible to re-weather my armor if I want a different look. Look at Rolf...he must be on his 16th or 17th weathering by now!

• 2 weeks later...

1 thing that I have learnt about how armour appears in pics:

Cameras do pick up more of the shine/reflected light off the polished sections which has the effect of blinding the camera to any lighter shades of weathering.

Hence you'll see many troopers with darker shades of brown or reddish/brown to counter this.

Roughing up the surface does give moddelling sand/clay someplace to stick to.

I guess you could try a spraying automotive matt clearcoat paint to reduce the gloss look.

My armor is sanded as well. I made so many mods that it required a painting to cover up the resin, model putty, bondo, etc...

I like it sanded and painted. I've mixed a gloss with a flat primer (not mixed together, but sprayed over each other in different parts) I get some "shine" in parts and it's very flat in others. Then the dirt.

Scuffing up certain parts would add to the used look, but to sand it down is no need and it would be very hard to remove the weathering after doing so. i tried a new weathering method this weekend and it works great. i diluted some acrylic paints in water and sprayed a light mist on several parts and let dry, then change your color and go over it again. it look very cool and natural effect. I first did small amounts of the normal weathering technice then did the spray. hang your parts so the drips run down, other wise it will look strange

Posted Image